LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Osborne Kansas - Oct 19, 1963

Dear Archie and Mabel,

Sure Glad to get your letter. I had been thinking of writing to you for several months but I guess it is just laziness.

Well Kansas had one of the best wheat crops this year. We had plenty of moisture when even we needed it and every thing is lovely.

October has been one of the finest months I have ever seen. Mornings are around fifty and afternoons are around eighty and no wind.

No I havent seen Laura only a few times at store since you were here and never her Mother.

I only see shortly about once a year and Marvin not very often. I was out to Calif in Febuary and Helen and I went down to see Irvin. Thought I would surprise him but he knew me before I could get near.

He puts me in mind of your Unclr Marshall. Gosh he has a nice place there and he is as busy as he can be. He interduced us as some buyers for wood carvings and Mariom didnt recognize me.

We sure had a nice time. Got there about one oclock as Helen and I had ate lunch at Duke Snyers Bowling in town.

He wanted me to send dhim some Hedge wood for carving but is hard to find anything around here as the hedge has all been cut for posts

No I haven't seen Bowlby or Don Chrystler for a couple years. Dont get over to Natoma very often.

I did see Albert Hackerott a while back in Dr office. Suppose you knew that Lew and Bill both died in the last year.

What was your trouble Archie? Gosh I never knew about that new Grandson, his name sounds like he might be Irish.

Archie what did you think of the World Series? wasn't that dandy the only thing I didn't like about it was that the Yankees got any score.

Had a light frost last night our first. Ila has some of the nicest flowers that she ever raised. The finest Cock Combs and Dahlias. And we had a nice crop of tomatoes.

Ila does all the work around here while I play golf and read and watch TV. My right as kind of gone on the blink and I had to buy a mobile cart to play golf. I can only walk about two blocks and then stop and rest a couple minutes before I can go on for a few more blocks. Surely cant be my age Ha.

Wm and Katie live in Boulder now. They bought a home there. Wm had to have another operation on his hip but finally Dr told him that he can put one half of his weight on his leg and walk a lot.

The pins got lose a few months ago and he had to have new bone grafted and had a hell of a time.

Yes I hear from Bob McEldowney ever couple months. Seems he bought a bunch of land in the mountains and is nwo building a cabin up there.

See in paper that Bob Whites last girl is engaged to get married soon.

Bernices daughter Oma is getting up a Family tree of the Whites. She wrote to some House of Records in New Jersey and got a lot of dope. It seems that Fathers grandmother lives to be One hundred and five and died while playing the fiddle. It seems that the Whites came to Americe in the middle of the 16th century and onr of the Whites was an officer in the Revolutionary War and his sword is in a Museum in Francis Town NH. And that Grandfather Benjaman Lovell White had ten children five boys and five girls. The first boy named Silas Ebenezer died in 1844 and then Ann was born the next year and father in 1847.

E.A. Ford that used to be Banker a Waldo died here a couple months ago. Dont know if you ever met him or not. He was a dandy fellow. Funny thing that forst time I ever met him over fifty years ago he said he came from Ambia Indiana and Mothers sister Aunt Alice Moorhead lived there and I asked him if he knew the Buck girls and said he sure he did and went to school with them Bessie and Nettie Buck.

They are both gone nwow Bessie just a couple years ago. Bessie used to write to me quite of ten. They were out to see Uncle Will Moorhead in about forty I think it was and Bessie who was a widow and Nettie an old maid.

Bessie a girl of fifteen when Grandmother Moorhead died went to school where Grandad lived and kept house for him and he was hard to get along with. It seemed that when the civil war broke out he wanted to go but he had about three kids and his mother to take of and it soured him on the whole world. He lost three brothers in the last battle.

Father used to say that Louie was a lot like him hard to get along with. And I guess Grandmother White was like that also. When Father and Mother were first married they had to live with Fathers folks for a few months and when they would get up in the motornin Grandfather would say Looks like a nice day and she would snap at him and say Nobody did say it wasnt. Guess GRANDFFATHER WAS A BIG FAT GOOD NATURED FELLOW.

Well I guess you will get tired of all this so I will ring off.

Oma says that she will have a book published and I sure want to buy one.

Love to both of you from both of us.
Uncle Geo.

NOTE: I copied this letter as it was written. This letter was typed on a typewritter. The misspelling of words was his misspellings. Uncle Geo. is Uncle George White. Archie had two Uncle George's from both sides of the family. This George White raised my grandfather after the death of my great grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment