LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Aug 28, 1949 Natoma Kans

Dear Mom and Shirley.
Got your card from Delmer and your letter from La Grande, so guess by now you are in Seattle. Hope you got in ok and found everything o.k. Doing the same thing most every day, caking steers and fixing fence, repairing machinery and what not. went to Osb wed to take a horse for Ralph to Referee Polo game. The Jeep, Richard and I. We left soon after game. Havent found out about the Fairport deal yet but dont think Shores is doing any thing about it. Ralph is gone most of the time. Left last nite to take some Drunk and guess he will stay at Manhatten to ship some steers. Caught 2 nice channel cats the first of the week and have a couple of lines set, caught one last night. See Mel and Mattie most every day but haven't saw Son's (Don's?) yet. Went up north the other day and cut out a couple of Ralphs cows that were in Albrights pasture, then got a steer and brought him back to the bunch down here. Didn't fall off the horse so can still ride yet. Warrena is getting along O.K. Ella said she stood up (I suppose they helped her) for the first time the other day, and she fainted. Ella says she faints awful easy. Dont go to town much, but will have to go in and get some gas in Jeep so will take my washing in.

Hows Irwin and Marion, also Boeings and other Jobs there? tire is Seattle very dead? I am sorry I didnt get a Birthday card to you, or Irvin, or Aunt Nettie or Mattie, but you know me (al). Will quit and go cake the steers as I go bout 11 every day and its 15 till. Will finish later.

If Fred shows up dont say too much only that, as far as work I have had all the jobs I've wanted, and about Harvest, that we cut around 12 hundred acres up to Neb line. Then Ill fill him full when I get home. He has a 12 inch cresent an 10 in crescent a big Ball Pein Hammer, Cold Chisel, and a Box end wrench that Bill Borrowed so if he Brings any thing Back see that they are all there.

Hope Irvin is still at Pacific Marine, wish I could get on there for the winter as Ill have a hard time.Probably to get Back at Boings. Ill find out about the Fairport deal tho before I come, although if the Laundry looks good, and if a person can get on at Hermiston or Vmatilla I'm in favor of it if you are still interested in it.

Well Shirley you will soon be in school. guess the kids at Natoma will have some country school houses moved in. Sure a mess for them. I went up on the Hill place but a person doesnt reconogise much, Barn and buildings all gone. Didn't seem natural. Haven't been any where only Natoma and Back. Well dinner is about Ready so will close. Ella and I will have to eat by our selves. Wish you two were here.

By for now always your Daddie
Now Both of you write.

(Archie's letter to Mable and Shirley)

No comments:

Post a Comment