LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

December 2, 1957

December 2, 1957
Box 65 Hauula
Oahu, Hawaii

Dear Mabel and Archie:

Well I'll jut finish up Irvin's long letter. Glad to hear you folks are OK. Here it is the day after the Hurricane. Yesterday about 445 the lights went out and no TV or radio so had to use candles. Quite a heavy wind and it blew down 8 of our banana trees as Irvin and I have been working all morning clearing up the mess and dragging the trees out to the back to burn. You see the banana tree preduces only one bunch of bananas and then you cut it down anyway. We saved the big bunches of bananas off the trees that fell down which will ripen OK. The banana tree is a pulpy affair and easy to blow down. Of course we still have quite a few and more keiki's coming on all the time (keiki means offspring or little ones.)  There were a few heavy gusts of wind but as you have probably heard on the radio the hurricane hit the island of Kauai much worse. It rained heavily but we were quite cozy with our fireplace lit. The cats all layed around and slept. Everything is normal again today with sunshine and just a slight wind. None of Irvin's orchids were injured.

Have learned how to make plum pudding with bananas and it is really good, and very easy to make, just breadcrumbs, bananas, milk and soda and what raisins, mixed candied fruit you want to put in.

It is nice Shirley is going to have another little one. It is nice to have grandchildren - I know what happiness my susters get from it and they are starting to have a great many now. Irvin and I are just grandparents to Puhl's kittens I guess.

Have been getting unemployment insurance for months now and am just as well off as if I worked and had to pay transportation, income tax etc.

There is good fishing right out in the ocean in front of us but Irvin doesn't care about it any more. Archie would enjoy a visit some time. Irvin is busy as a bee all the time, burning rubbish, making pots for orchids, etc.

Here it is nearly Xmas. Thats one thing I can't feel Christmasy here. Not the weather for it. All the little kids sing "Jingle Bells" tho. None of them have ever seen snow.

We are always happy to see any friends or friends of friends as we have no relatives or many friends here. Its a good thing I am not a woman who needs to visit much. Keep busy with things around, sewing cats etc. I go swimming on sunny days.

Love, Marion

No comments:

Post a Comment