LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

May 15, 1946


May 15, 1946

Dear Mable.
I will write a few lines tonight. we are all. O.K. how are you all there. will you get to come see me this summer. I sure hope so. well this is Thursday & I still haven’t finished this. Betty & I still have been cleaning house. & polishing up the furniture. & I still have mothers to sell it & I must get it done. we finaly got enough money to pay all the funeral expences, & it was sure a plenty I belive they were in little over 8 hundred dollars. & they will probably be $50\00 yet to pay in Sept. hows. Shirley. & how did she like her broclate? or did she get it? is her school out yet? ours was out yestereay. but Delmer has to go. tomorrow & get his report card. I don’t think he will pass this year. wel Jr. passed his physical. exprays & all but don’t know yet if he will be called before July or not. Orville & Betty are staying here again now. then will go on to Baker. she will go to if they can get a place or trailer to live in. they got me. a electric iron for mothers day. & I sure kneeded it to. Jr. & Della got me a set of 6 glasses on a stand. they are sure nice. & Marvin & Ethel got me a glass fruit basket its nice to. have you seen Margie lately, she sent Jay a nice wrist watch. hes sure proud of it. thanks for the lovely card. Marvin hasent seen anything about your stove yet. but I think its O.K. exept rust on top. when I get a chance Ill look at its. but Orville day off is on Sunday. & his last time off I had so much business to see to. I didnt have time & he has been sick to. Drs don’t know for sure yet whats rong, they will takeex rays. pretty soon.  the dr wrote in to see if the government wont help him pay expences last week. he spit up blood.  & the Dr said lots of noise on his lungs. he isn’t well so much of the time. He nearly has a pocolis stroke over seas. & hes afraid of it yet. Betty says he wont tell me. he don’t like to talk, but I belive he knows whats rong but wont say & Bety thinks so to. well am awfuly tired. so will go to bed. Ive had so much this week. business & work to. so good night oodles of love,
Mother & all

NOTE: Orville Matheson was Minnie Reeder's son. He died shortly after this letter was written. He served in WWII and after coming home died of a brain clot (can't spell the correct word).  

No comments:

Post a Comment