LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

1894


This letter was written about 1894 - post mark on envelope has Oct 2, 1894 ILL. I'm not sure it belongs to this letter or the one after this one that I will post as well.

Dear Mattie and Nettie,                                                           Remington Indiana

 I feel a little hous omi this after noon so I guess I will write a few lines to my little sisters. how I wish you was here and I would take you down Town and we would get some ice cream. have you had any ice cream yet? I have had lots of it. what did you think of our little dresses I sent you. have you found the packets yet-.? the lace that was in the packets Aunt Dell sent to trim your underclothes. one of you wanted to know something about Jella I will tell you all about her when I get home. she is a badly spoilt-child. She had a nice wax dollie and when her mamma would whip her she wwould throw her dolli on the floor and she smashed it all to pieces. Aunt Add & Uncle roi let her do just as she pleases the other day we wen up to Grand mas and Aunt Add was setting leg on the living (faded hard to read) and she got at Aunt Add and went for her & there was a tack in the living & she fell & scratched her  (word gone) till it bled. I didn't care a bit - you both said be good little girls and help Mamma all you can & take good care of little Brother Willis & when I come back I will try and bring you something wish if I can tell Gergie to write for you and I will try and answer sooner I hope I can go out to Uncle Georges in a day or two and see little Cousin Rosa now  write soon from you big sister Lizzie

(Written sideways on the front of the letter)
I sent a whole lot of hug & kisses & I want you to give the baby about a half dozen of them  him I would like to see him & all of you

NOTE: This is my great grandmother who died at an early age - born 21 Jun 1877, died 01 May 1901 at the age of 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment