LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Postmark:Jan 13, 1934 LaGrande, OR

The envelope has the following written on it in Mable Wineland's handwriting:  when mother first came to Ore.

1415 V Ave
La Grande, Ore
Jan 12, 1934

Dearest Mable,
Just a line seams like I nver get time to write any more. again I get 3 meals a day for 8 of us. I do the house work & washing to.

I never even get time to mend any more. & the men are so far behind in their wood hauling. seams like its impossible to catch up
they get more customers all the time now. & it rained or snowed so much till sence Xmas it was so muddy & the ground not froze till they simply couldent haul with 2 horses. so they have 4 big nice ones now. so they went to the Mts Monday. & broke an axle so they had to quit. then the horses lost some shoes. then they had to shoe them. so if its isent one thing its to. they ame to go again tomorrow.

& belive me its sure dangerous one slipe to horses & men to would go to the botton. its a big risk. but its the best they can do. the fellow that brought us has a job. & Maurice is at Dittys most of the time. gets 50 (cents sign) a day. the last 2 weeks he was there. has been here this week. will probably go there again next week. but its takes 3 of them in the timber now. I sure wish you could see the big timber they got. Wright rows it up for them.

they come up once in a while Wrigth was awful sick a while but isent a bit stout.

Gladis hasent been here yet. She is expecting the stork any time.

but Margie dont care much about them. She has several nice girl friends close here, to take interest in church. & I belive its a good idea. then so manny brothers, some of them can be with her. I tell Marvin to watch her. & she listens to him.

he sure has a big responcibility on him. for we all go to him about everything. & he has to see to evorything. in fact he is boss of us all. but not orwy abut it. he worries so much takes life so serous.

the rest can take it easier.

I so feel sorry for him, he gave me a library table rocking chair. & a round kitchen table, & I use the only dresser they have. their all so ready to simpthise with me, if anything comes up sickness or anything. & ore good to Jay to. yes Jay likes it here but gets the blues sometimes I feel lots better. I am gaming some. we have compnay evory day. so the house here to be clean as I can keep it we have linoleum in the frount room kitchen & one bed room up starts. & a exminster rug in the other up stairs bed room

yes Margie is a poor hadn to write a letter. for her mind isnent centered on letter writing.

yes margie & I went over to Harolds. the Sat before xmas. Came home the next Sat. they had evorything nice. & evory thing good to eat.

but Harold was feeling so bad. he most of the time I was there. such a cold a while. we were afraid he would have pemonia. he missed work one night.
he realy shouldent of brung me home I guess. for I had a card from him this week saying he had been in bed ever sence he went home. 8 days & would he the 2 more days anyway. he threw his hip out of place once. & it some times. slips out now. so & amazen the Dr. put him to bed. till it got better.

Orville has the toncilatis today. missed school. they is around 4 hundred pupils in their school just grade pupils. I can stand at the kitchen window & watch them march out. their now even allowed to play on the lawn on this side of the school house. just on the side walk. they even burn wood at the school house.

I can see 3 chimney sticking out. its sure big. yes Mable I got your xmis gifts & manny thanks for them they were all so nice. & the rest sends their thanks to. it was awful nice of Archie to get you your perment. I always wanted one.

I was there when Harold got your package. & they were sure pleased. Harlin was proud of his duck, had lots of fun with it, hes sure a case. & has sure grown. he finaly called me Granma. & would hug & kiss me to. I had a nice visit Forest weighs 2 hundred lbs now.

yes they made real good on their traping & I am glad to heer some one can make money

well Mable will try & finish my letter this morning.

the 3 boys went to the Mts this morning it sure warm here today & cloudy suppose it will rain again.

well I must close to get my Sat work done to day. will try & do better next time

with love & manny thanks for the xmas gifts Margie says it dont do any good to write you any way for you never write her.


MINNIE AND JAY REEDER

AUTHOR OF THE LETTER


(NOTE: Mable was the oldest child of 9 children - the other 8 were her brothers and sister)

No comments:

Post a Comment