LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Orange, Calif. 1954 Uncle George

Orange, Calif.
360-S-Glassell
Dec, 28th, 2954

Dear Archie and Mable;

Just got your Xmas card, was going to send yours today. Left home on the 29th of Nov and came to Denver, styed a few days there and came on here on the 23rd of Nov. Flew out in three hours.Quite a thrill. Plane stopped at Las Vagas for twenty minutes, the air port was full of one armed bandits, so of course I sailed right in to them, won two dollars and sixty cents Then noticed the air hostess( acute little blond) had lost all her change, so I gave her a dollar and told her we would go pardners if she won, but she didnt, so I only got away with a dollar and sixty cents.

Told Dale that I expected the next time that I stopped there they would just hand me the money and tell me to go on.

Helen won about forty dollars when they stopped there on the way home from their trip last summer. and Dale won about the same shooting craps.

Just got a letter from Joe, he is at Savanna Mo. had a small cancer on his nose and one in the conrer of his eye. I didnt know anything about it, must have came all at once. Said he would be home in about a week. Said he thought it would dis figure him but it wont, will heal up and not even leave a scar in a few months.

Guess you saw in paper about me selling out the Elev. Got so I couldnt do the work any more and no profit if I had to hire so cut loose.

That's a wonderful grandaughter of mine in Denver, will soon be three months old and is beginning to notice things.

Helen went back to work on Nov 22nd he mother in law came to stay with them and take care of baby. My son in law is a  a police man in east Denver ( Aurora) and they bought a house there on GI plan, I think it is the best part of Denver. With them both getting good wages they ought to get it paid for some time.

See a lot of fight and ball games on TV here, LA Rams didnt do so good this year, Noticed they have either fired the coach or he quit. A n***** from Bogue is playing with Green bay packers, he had played with Kansas state and is pretty good.

Yes I am figuring on seeing some games at KC. There is going to be a lot of new faces on all the teams, see that Brooklin sold old preacher Roe, and a lot of trades, some one the yaks I think about cleaned out Baltamore. St Louis got rid of Staley finally, but sold that good third baseman.

No I havent seen Marlyn yet but expect to any time see that she is going for the older men now Now Ha

They have a Plaza here in the center of town, its just three blocks from where Helen lives, Palm trees, Flowers and a big fountain spouting water all the time. The plaza has benches all around the outsides for us loafers to set on and watch the pretty girls go by, I meet all kinds off characters, mostly from Kansas,Okla,and Ark. Clarence Parsons from Osborne is Here also Dave McGuire and a couple of Jack Clarks grandsons.

Notice what you say about Shirleys man enlisting, You know I think there is one of the best futures for a young fellow.

There is a marine base (EL Toro) here and Dale gets to talk with a lot of captains and Majors and he asks all kinds of questions because Gary will soon be going in and t hey all tell him that what the Gov is doing now for the boys is some thing great the schooling that they couldnt possibly get any other way, then twenty short years they retire on a good pension

Think I will try and stay until about the middle of Feb and then hit for Kansas, will stop in Denver for a few days and then go up to Fort Collins for a couple days before I go home.

See by the papers that moab Utah is growing to beat the band, over your thousand people now, A lot of fellows have struck radium mine there, Bess wrote a while back that Geos kids were making a good thing, staking out claims and selling them, both had new cars .

See by Natoma paper that Gus Pfortmiller died, last time I visited with him he told about his father and mine being such good friends and in township politics were on the same side.

Sure hope you find something to do. I get restless as hell out here,while I cant do much at home I can get in car and drive up to farm and see what there is to do and then tell some one else to do it.

Love to both and write.

Uncle Geo.

  NOTE: The *** covers the actual word. It's not a word I care to repeat, even if it was in a letter over  50 years old. When these letters are from Uncle Geo., I'm pretty sure they are from George White. Even though there is a Geo. White and a Geo. Wineland

No comments:

Post a Comment