LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

1929 - re: Bill Kirk estate - E. E. Spencer, Atty


Ernest E. Spencer
Attorney at Law
Hayes Center, Nebrska

May 23, 1929.

Mr. Archie Wineland
Natoma, Kansas.

Dear Sir:      In re: Estate of Bill Kirk, deceased.

I have been intending to write you for some time concerning my findings on the questions you asked me concerning the above estate, but I have been so busy as County Attorney with criminal work that was forced to put this matter off.

The records show that Mrs. Kirk during the course of the probate of the above estate secured permission of the District Court to sell the real estate on the ground that there was not sufficient personal property to satisfy the debts against the estate. The land was then sold by Mrs. Kirk as administratrix at public sale to Joseph Hruza, he being the highest bidder for $3500.00. The amount of land involved in the sale was two quarters or 320 acres and the amount of the debt of the estate as claimed by Mrs Kirk was #3622.15. The land as you will note sold for a little over $10.00 per acre. It is probably worth from $15.00 t $20.00 per acre. Mrs. Kirk as administratrix gave a deed to Joseph Hruza, her brother on Jan. 9th and on Feb. 13th Joseph Hruza deeded the land back to her for one dollar and other valuable considerations. On April 15th Mrs. Kirk gave a mortgage on the land to one Frank Kroutliek for $2000.00.

I have had a talk with one of the appraisers, Mr. John Curran and while he admitted that the personal property was appraised low he said that all of the farm machinery was old worn out stuff and that it would not bring any more on a public sale. He was favorable to Mrs. Kirk and in reply to one of my questions said that Mrs. Kirk deserved everything that was coming to her. Mrs. Kirk as also allowed by the county court $100.00 per month for 12 months for support of herself and family during the administration of the estate. While this was very high yet no objection was made at the time it was allowed so it would be impossible to object to that part of it now.
I have also had a talk with Atty. John F. Cordeal of McCook, who is considered one of the best probate lawyers in this part of the State and we both agreed that while there is no doubt but that you heirs couldopen up the proceedings which were had and that you might be able to get the deed to the land set aside on the ground of fraud, yet there would be such a small amount of money involved that it is doubtful whether it would more than pay the expense. We also came to the conclusion that unless we could show that the property had been fraudulently appraised to low and that the claims allowed against the estate were in part improper that the sale of the land by Mrs. Kirk to pay the debts would probably stand. If the court found that the debts were proper and that the sale by Mrs. Kirk was proper we would loose the case. While it seems clear to me that there was a considerable amount of fraud yet I feel that it will be hard to prove and for that reason I would not want you to spend any money when it is very doubtful whether you would get any money if you won the suit. If this land is worth $15.00 er acre the total value would be $4800.00 and after the debts of the estate were subtracted there would be $1177.85 to divide between Mrs. Kirk and you 8 children which would give each of you a little over $100.00. The expense of the resale of the land would also have to come out of this sum if the court set the deed to the land aside. After the expense of suit and attorneys fees I am doubtful if you would have anything left.

I trust that this has fully answered your questions and I will be glad to be of service to you heirs at any time in any way.

Very truly yours,

(signed) E. E. Spencer

EES:KLS



Personal note: Guess my grandfather lost the land he was expecting when his father died.  Fraud is fraud, no matter how you look at it. Mrs. Kirk (in my research) sounds like a real b***ch. My great grandfather Cary Wineland aka Bill Kirk, sounds like an interesting person and the theme "what comes around, goes around," seems to have happened to him in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment