LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, November 5, 2012

April 1958 - Mrs Louie White


On the Envelope:

Mrs. Louie E. White
Natoma Kans

No Such Number (check mark)

Mr and Mrs Archie Wineland
1414 Holden
Seattle 6 Wash

Letter:

Apr 29, 58
Dear Archie and Mable,

Guess I’ll write a little Iv forgot if I wrote last or not. Iv got so I forget so bad.  some things I can remember all right then others I forget But guess others do the same I have some sad news to write But maybe someone else has all ready told you Poor Aunt Mattie was laid away yesterday Pm. It was such a shock for us as she had kept her ailment so careful that we shouldn’t know it she did write Uncle Geo But he was to keep quiet about it so others wouldn’t hear she had cancer of the breast and kept spreading It had been going for years They had went to Texas a time or two But it seemed to just be on trips we supposed to be pleasure trips then here came a death message. Thursday (writing in pencil) It just seems as tho it cant be possible Poor Bob he looked so bad and then for him. The old Lot is filling for a long time your mother laid there alone then, grandmother & Uncle Louie grandfather Aunt Violet, Now- and Aunt Nettie and Aunt Mattie and my place is waiting for me, and likely wont be a very long wait. So its filling up pretty fast the past few years Uncle Wm and Aunt Katie didn’t get to come perhaps you knew that. Have you got to see them yet Elaine isn’t very far from you Is she? Iv not felt too good the last 3 or 4 days was on the bed part of Sun and of course yesterday was hard on me and today Iv been on the bed a good part of the day again hope I can feel better and get at something again. Gladys didn’t get to come to the funeral yesterday they bought a home in Waldo and live there now they want to see the farm Bryan is in Hosp. Again went Thurs I believe Twice he’s been there since last fall. Guess Ill go to bed and finish in the m. (back to pen) Sat m Well here its Sat and this isn’t on the way yet.  We are getting soaked this m and believe it rained a good part of the night or commenad partly early this m and been coming pretty steady this forenoon you have never written for a long time Do you ever plan to come back to see your native state any more It looks a little lighter maybe it isn’t raining so heavy.
Guess this all for this  time, Have a letter started to Philo and G so I should try and get it read for the mail box too.

Write when you can
Your Natoma Aunt  

No comments:

Post a Comment