LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Uncle Geo 1950


Luray, Kan.
Feb. 25-1950.
Dear Archie:

Got your letter a few days ago. Was just thinking that I owed you a letter. Wm and I were down to Topeka last week to see Nettie. She is getting weaker all the time, so poor and just suffers terrible. Think its just a question of time.

Joe didn’t work that week and don’t think he worked this week either. I haven’t had a card from him since we were there. Will call tonight and find out her condition.

Well we have had an open winter here, got plenty cold several times but only one snow of about five inches. Had a nice inch rain about two weeks ago and looks like the wheat is OK. It is starting to green up a little now. It has been wonderful winter on stock, several fellows just run their cattle on grass and cake. Gee the cattle market is sure high. Cows from two hundred to two fifty and little steer calves as high as thirty cents per pound. Don’t think I will have the nerve to buy any. If  we should have a dry season they will get cheaper next fall.

 They say Ralph is buying cattle again. Heard he had a couple more wells but don’t know where they are. Teds Smiths well was dry and the one on Lawrence Hauser was dry.

Emil Hackerott had a sale the other day. He had to get off the Jim Hogan place, Emil is moving on to a big ranch near Woodston Bet he holds the job about a week Ha. Tommy Hogan is moving on Jims old place, so Arnold told me.

Sure glad to hear that Shirley is doing so well in school The only thing that I can figure out where she gets all this smartness is from her great Uncle Geo. Of course she may get a little of it from her Mom and Dad. Tell her I got her nice letter and will answer it some of these days.

March the 9th is Lucilles birthday and she is coming home for a few days. Think she gets kind of homesick some times. She wants us to come out and get her but I don’t want to leave o account of Nettie. I hate to answer the phone as I expect to here of her death anytime.

Got a letter from Cliffs wife the other day and she said it got 18 below there at Portland and has been the worst winter they ever saw. Think Natoma is going to start the grade school next month. Think the way my land taxes raised that I will pay for one room anyway. Yes Harry down there is sure a smart boy, I think he has the mentality of a ten year old. But I suppose as long as he keeps dishing it out he will be elected. Well I hope I will be seeing you soon.

As ever Uncle Geo.

No comments:

Post a Comment