LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mattie White - Nov 26, 1951

Nov 26” 51

Dear Archie –

Finally got around to sending you your Mothers diary, the letter she wrote while in Ill. Her ilver spoon a Butterfly Pincushion of hers and a hood she made – possibly the latter isn’t worth keeping, but after looking at what they wore in the “Gay 90’s” you can destroy it if u like @yer (?) the old piece of cloth. Spun & women by the Little family was part of a sheet owned by Phoebe Little (her Maiden name Poebe Palmer) She married Ebenezer Little in Mar 11” 1810 & passed away Feb 5” 1864 - - no doubt the old material is over 100 yrs old. Her (Phoebe Little) 10th child was Elizabeth Brown Little who was my mothers Mother & your Mother was named for her –

Phebe Little would be your Great – Great – Grand Mother – x Shirleys Great Great Great G. Mother. I’ve been looking this up in the Geneaology that Cousin Alice (Gardner) Dewey gave me – The Geneaology that Mother had & which father had now write in that it was to be given to his oldest living son or daughter & which should have gone to George after Freds death was not given to him – I supposed he had it till Nettie told me he did not get it - - I ENCLOSED SOME OF FATHERS & mother letter written when they were first married that u & Irvin might like to have them – I will send some of the old letters to Geo & Wm – Do you & Irvin each have a picture of your mother taken with Geo & Carrie Stiles? If not U could have one I have - - You must have been only about 1 ½ yrs old when she passed away - -I took a great deal of care of you & you cried after me first as I cried after your Mother when I was small as she took most of the care of me-

Was glad to get Shirleys letter she must be a versatile young lady – I didn’t know Coz Ella went in Wheel Chair – she writes as tho she was quite well & busy with her house work – The olsons from Topeka who were friends of Netties  Does Stoft here see their way to Seattle & other places a few wks ago & sent us a card from Seattle – will soon be time to send Christmas Greetings Its nice to hear from so many relatives & friends – Hope you all stay well – Remember wht Father said, that there was nothing so good in life as to be young & able to work – over – Please let me know if package reaches U O.K. – Write when you can – Best of everything to you & yours 

Love
Aunt M-


Note: Aunt M is believed to be Mattie White.  

No comments:

Post a Comment