LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Letter from June Feb 8 (no year noted)

Mon Feb 8

Dear Shirley,

I had a lovely letter from your mother at Christmas. I had finally got around to visit them – by mail.

I had a nice visit with Laura Wineland the other night. She has been in Calif for 6 weeks now. She is lovely of face and form and lovely with personality too.
Since I saw Laura I have found the administrators deed of our Great Grandmother Jane Pearse’s father. Our Great Great Grandfather was Ambrose Pierce who died in 1847 in Tuscarawas Co, Ohio. I am copying it for you.

Mar 11

We have had a bad time in the family. Uncle Ralph Winder (Hazel Goads husband. Hazels mother was Allie Wineland & Ollie’s son John Goad both passed away – both my Uncles, so this will be a short letter altho I started long ago to let you know I am still working on our family tree, when I have time for it.


Love, June

From "Li on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain

"July 1856, the steamer, Jos H Luas, AndyWineland, master, made her run from St. Louis to St. Joseph in 60 hours and 57 minutes. Six hundred miles and when the cliff scaliest of navigate the turbulent Missouri are taken into consideration, the performance of the Turn deserve special mention."

No comments:

Post a Comment