LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Letter to Fred from Grandmother (Solon's wife) White

Header: THE NATOMA CENTRAL TELEPHONE
(note: S.E. White, Secretary, Natoma, KS)

My dear Fred,

I was very glad to get your letter this morning & I have my “stint” done I will scratch a few lines so it will go in the morning. I got home last Thurs. Robert came out as far Mr Bales to sell him a car (a Sedan) as Mattie & I rode with him that far & I came the rest of the way with your father & we got stuck in the mud (didn’t have chains on) & I had to sit in the sun while John Schneider ate his dinner so he could bring his mules to pull on out. They must have had lots of good things to eat it took him so long.

Your father went to Osborne this noon to a ball game. He went with Lee McErven. William is planting corn. Made 10 rows this forenoon & a lot of chores too. He hints o his father to milk so he can get out a little quicker but father never takes a hint like that.

I have been writing Telephone names & addresses to number of shares, all the after-noon, in a Telephone Book, I did not see that your father had seen figuring on this write I turned it over so I’ll go ahead.

(Note: there are math figures on this back of this letter – she wrote around them)

Louis was sick in bed with sciatic rheumatism & is not well yet but he went down to Natoma yesterday & over to see Bernice last night. He told me he did not go to sleep until midnight his leg pained so but slept well the rest of the night. He has felt pretty good all day today but that hangs on a long time some times. I hope it won’t this time.

My, I think George must be like his Uncle, not like his grandpa who threaed a good yoke of oxen for “old Lucy” – she must have been 40, & it don’t see possible Harold could drive & horses. What a help they will be to you. ILL George go to high school next winter?

Did Robbie get Archie’s letter? Archie came out Sat eve with Mattie & went back Sun eve.

You sure will have lots of work to do with all the road work beside your own. Am glad you will have a garden, it is such a help to your living, Love to you all, come down when you can & write soon again to your old crippled Mother


No comments:

Post a Comment