LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sept 11, 1964 - Marion Wineland

Mrs. M. Wineland to Mr. and Mrs. Archie Wineland


514 Woodcrest Lane
Fallbrook, Calif.

September 11, 1964

Dear Mabel and Archie:

Thanks so much for your letter and I know I owed you one. Have been busy as Scoville’s are away fro 5 weeks and I am tending to their place and cats.

Nancy and Kathleen her daughter came the first of the month and that kept me busy. They didn’t stay long and were with a friend of Nancy’s who wanted them to go to Los Vegas and when you are with a friend who is good enough to drive down with you one has to go some places to please them. We had a pleasant visit. I hadn’t seen the niece for about 8 years, before we left for Hawaii.

Now I have a little girl 8 years old with me as her mother is in the Naval Hospital here with Pneumonia and is being tested for TB which is possible. She is a neighbor and I think you met her, she has pretty white grey hair and is only 39. They were at the funeral. She has been so good to me. Her husband is in Okinawa and we have been company for each other and go to the same church. She had pneumonia last march but was not hospitalized but was very sick at home and I helped her then too. Her husband is due back next month and they were to go to Ohio where his next assignment is, tho they asked for Fallbrook, so don’t know what the outcome of it all will be. Had to get the little girl off to school as school started yesterday.

So gland you were able to get the run-down on poor Irvin’s autopsy report. Never did know for sure just what it was. Its funny too he came home from the clinic and said they told him his kidney condition was clearing up. Well we can’t bring him back, much as I would like to and could have him well.

Its been so warm here the last few days as sometimes we have a hot spell in September but its hard on the school children. I am sure its at least 100 today.

Have been swimming over at the Naval Ammunition Depot with Mrs. Hughes and Patty quite a bit this summer and it sure helped during the hot days. Have written to the Welfare asking about a child to give a foster home to but didn’t say anything definite. They wrote saying they usually had to have a complete unit, (husband and wife) for full time care of children but she is supposed to come to see me, I mean the welfare worker. They pay you pretty well and it would help me out financially too.

Its too bad the uncle is in such bad shape. I guess we can be glad Irvin never suffred and complained of no pain at all.

Don’t remember getting any snaps. Its nice your mother can visit in California and get some sunshine. Wish I could send you some. Hope Archie is feeling better.

It would be nice if Shirley and family can come and stay with you or near you if her husband goes overseas again. At least I don’t owe Shirley a letter. I am sure I was the last one to write.
Nancy is 62 and will get only $80 a month S.S. if she quits now so can’t blame her for hanging on to her job as long as it lasts. There was some talk of her boss clearing out the big office and just being by himself but I think that didn’t materialize.

Was supposed to go to American Legion Auxiliary (where Alma Gibbs is secretary) tonight but won’t be able to as I have Patty to look after and then we are to go over to see her mother tonight. Of course if things look too bad they will send for the father, as it is now, Mrs. Hughes won’t tell her husband she is in the hospital, not want to worry him.

Frank Scoville put a nice screen door on the front of it is pleasant and pretty cool in the house even in the heat.

Hope I won’t be so long in writing next time. Don’t overdo working. Love to you both,

Marion and cats.


I meant to have Nancy call you when she got home but during the hustle and bustle forgot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment