LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Letter from Emma Webb

Note: Postmark on envelope is dated Jan 15, 1985 – but Emma dated the letter 1965

Jan 10 – 65

Dear Mable

I haven’t forgotten you, but I have had a bout with the flu and just can seem to snap o of it. Don’t feel so bad, but don’t have any pep. Don’t suppose its old age do you? I’m 85.

We had a real blizzard yesterday Blowing & drifting. I had 18” & 21” drifts in my yard. 17” everywhere. I cleaned a walk way around the house to our drive-way. I’d work awhile then come in and rest awhile. I really enjoy being out and I sure work up an apetite that I can stand as I don’t weigh 100#

Had all the family here Christmas eve, 25 of us. We had supper then our gift exchange and as usual Santa was to good to me. Received a nice robe and gown a vacuum cleaner (& I needed it) cash, 3 bottles of wine, 4 boxes of chocolates home made candy, carmel corn, fruit, 2 jars of home canned beef and all kinds of groceries. I had the dishes done and table back to its right size by 11:30. I don’t let the girls help me clean up as I work off some steam then I can go to bed & sleep. Pat, Normas wife had to work Christmas Day so Norman was cooking their turkey – I had ham for our meat.

Larry is busy, he has cattle, hogs, and 4 horses and prices aren’t good on any of them. He is also helping our neighbor ut up Solar Panels. Have put up 11 so far and also insulated the Catholic Church in Lincoln so he has had to get up early, do his chores and go to work at 8:30 so it keeps him moving. He likes it and it brings him in some cash and that helps.

Don has 4 children Donna married and both are Truckers, Steven & his wife live in Oklahoma, Steven works in oil field. Repair the machinery, they have a little girl, she goes to to-day school Chuck works on a farm, lives in his trailer house in Salina. Sara is a waitress lives at Kanarado, Kansas. Don’s 2nd wife has 3 children, boy out of High School, oldest girl a Senior this year and the other girl in grade school.  Don is working in Salina, servicing these big truckers, Charlene his wife is a waitress in Salina both make good wages.

Norman is still with Kansas Power & Light Salina. They live on their farm south of escott. Pat is assistant manager of a Nickerson’s Farm Restaurant.

David married lives in Topeka just finishing college. Plans to be a coach. Charlotte married lives in Manhattan. Married to an army man they have a little boy & girl.

Mark & Gregory live in Manhattan  going to Kansas State College and John will be a Senior in High School next year. So our family is getting to be grown up.

I’ve been crocheting, have made an afghan for each of the boys, grandchildren & great grand children. A few others & the M. E. Aid for their Bazaar in all 21. Have 2 more started. I do that evenings. I have to keep busy.

Do you live alone? I usually have chores to do, but I don’t buy any calves this year as I didn’t think I could take care of them and Larry has plenty to do without that.

Well I guess I better sign off and get my dishes done and it will be bed time.

Hope you are doing O.K. and that you had a nice Christmas and that the New Years will be good to you.

Love Emma

Emma S. Webb

Tescott Kansas 

No comments:

Post a Comment