LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Dec 30, 1963 - June

538 W Figueros Drive
Altadena, California

Dec 30, 1963

Dear Shirley,

So glad to get your letter. I have been interested in the family since 1856 but have only been working on the genealogsince Oct. of this year. I have a full time job which makes my time limited. My husband has a meat market and we have a daughter Darlene, 19, in her second year of College. She is engaged and plans to be married in July. Our son Michael is 17 and will graduate from High School in June. He as part time work and plans to go on to college but you never know. Clyd is from Hill City Kansas and came to California when he was 21. I was born at Waldo Kansas, but came to Calif. when I was 7. We met here in Calif.

I am afraid I won’t be too much help, but am trying and will let you know anything I find out. Being out here I missed out on much of the family back there.

Everyone knows of the existence of the Wineland bible but no one seems to know what happened to it. Ira supposedly had some of the family genealogy and that is why I wrote to Laura. Ira and his wife are both dead. He and Frank (Laura’s husband) were sons of William Marshall Wineland. There was another son, Marvin. Ira had bought Grandpa John Winelands home place at Osborne, Kansas and I saw it in 1956 when Katy was still alive. E had kept it with the antique furniture and etc. and it was lovely. There was a large picture of Grandma Jane (Pearse) Wineland hanging in the dining room. The windows were the narrow tall over with insets at the top of Cranberry galss and the drapes were velvet in the same color. It was just beautiful. We all presumed that Ira had the bible as he seemed to be the only one searching into the past. I had written to all my immediate relatives and they all know the bible existed but no one knows where it is. Another thing I have tried to find out without siccess in it was always rumored that Grandma Jane Pearse Wineland was part Indian. But all I can find out is that her fathers last name was Pearse. Well that spelling is English. Her mothers last name was Brady. And that usually Irish, taken from O’Brady. Laura was writing to Wava and I believe she is Iras daughter so maybe we will learn something there. I hope so. So far I haven’t even been able to find out these peoples first names. It’s terrible to be so ignorant Ha! I have written to try and get more information about John and Jane Wineland and also about Great Great Grandpa John and Mar Elder Wineland. What ever I find I will pass on to you. It so wonderful to find other people doing this. So many people I contact think I’m crazy and others just don’t bother to answer. No if you or Mr. Park Wineland will writhe specific facts you want we will all og to work. I appreciate the information you have sent.

Do you know where Great Great Grandpa John Wineland was born on Dec 11, 1803 or Mary Elder Dec 13, 1803 or where they were married.

I am sending you the references I have on the Elders as there is no information available here where I live. There are blind leads so far. Will put it on a separate page and also enclose genealogy sheets on my immediate family as Park may want them

Love June

Well, I thought I had run down – but decided I would put this in in case Mr. Park Wineland didn’t have it. I read your letter again and think he has it. But anyway.

Great Grandpa John Wineland and Jane Pearse and Wineland went to jewell co Kansas in 1871 and to Osborne Kansas in 1874 from Iowa.

I yes, James Westly Goad --- Uncle John says his fathers initials were I S after they came to Kansas things were so rough he started walking back to Iowa to get work and we never heard of again. It has been a persistant family rumor that “the Indians got him” But no proof. He was born Sept 1 1857 at Cordan, Wayne Co Iowa and Ihave written to see if I can find his parents. No answer yet. He died Aug 31, 1916 of Brights Disease. It buried at Cedar Bluff Cemetary near Waldo Kansas. His wife Lydia (Markham Goad was born Dec 30, 1821 we think in White Co. Tenn. I have written there too. No answer yet. She died April 7, 1885 and is buried at Cedar Bluff Cemetery. Practically everyone is this cemetery is Goad or related to a Goad.


ORIGINL LETTER SENT TO Park Wineland on 9 January 1963

No comments:

Post a Comment