LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Tues Mar 3rd - Park Wineland

Tues Mar 3

Dear Shirley,

I am ashamed, I take it all back – about Park. I received a lovely letter from his wife saying he has been ill. I’m copying what she wrote alth’ she may have sent the same to you.

“Notes from Mrs. Park Wineland about your family which have a direct bearing on your questions to Park. He has been ill the past year & hasn’t been able to get out information as quickly as he once did so knowing how anxious you and Shirley Taylor are for information which might further your search I’m taking the liberty to write you. First Park has not compiled his vast amount of facts in book form, so he is not the man who is selling anything about the many Wineland families. (This was told to me by Rufus Winder who was told by Katy Wineland, Iran wife, but no one has the mane name now. June) Park is glad to help anyone who writes him. In fact the only other person of the Wineland family that we know of who has made a genealogy is – Iverson P. Wineland who compiled a Wineland history 40 or 50 years ago & had a printed genealogy made. This information was received from Ruth Dunnington, 2423  Inge St. So, Arlington, VA on July 17, 1955. This man was her Uncle. She says there was a Wm Wineland who married John Rolf. Wannita Rolf. Pocahontas married John Rolf. Mrs Dunnington could find no proof of any connection. She also speaks of a lost bble which is in Oregon in passion of a neice of a person who lives in Harlan, Iowa. We have found Wineland records under Wyland, Wieland, Wielands, and many other form of the name.

David Wineland of Blair Co, Pa, wrote a history & genealogy of his immediate families decended from – John Wineland B 1769 m Hannah Brumbaugh B 1775. (Issue 12 children)
T is my own opinion that you will find your John (1803) is a son of the brother of the above John whos name was Jacob.

1.       John W (1769) first son Jacob married a Christina MOCK (sometime MACK) There is much more about this Wineland family & the Mock’s in “Brumbaugh Family History,” which Park owns. Here I will list several imported source materials we possess. Pa, Fayette Co History – the oldest on Brumbaugh History. Pa census of 1790 – (the very first cencus) Ruppy 30,000 names – names immigrants, contains ships listing from 1600 to 1775.

On p 60 – Mack – sameas Mock. Sept 15, 1729-59 ship – Allen. 126 persons imported. James Craigie, Master. Alexander Mack Sr. was born at Schriesheim.


Note: The next page is missing at this point. I'm sure I'll find it among the others. Believe this letter was written ca. 1966. 

No comments:

Post a Comment