LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

March 25, 1960 - Saratoga, CA - Forest Matheson

Saratoga, Calif.
March 25, 1960

Dear Mable & Archie:

This is probably quite a shock to you but sometimes that is the way it has to be. Segrid never had a thing to offer me by the time I had sold out.

Feb 9th. We waited some time but still they didn’t “ante.”

Loenne’s brother “in Hermeston” came down on a Friday nite to see us and brought us a letter From “Kenneth & Oma,” Leonnes borther that had been living in Las Angeles saying they had moved to Livermore, Calif to go to work for “University of California” at their atomic Laboratory there. He was working as an “experimental Machinist” in research.

We were painting the upstairs next day and Leonne said, “Lets go to Calif.” We left on Sunday about 5 pm and came down here for 2 weeks (had to be back on March 6 on account of Dallas”) lecture liked it here and prospects looked good.

I could have gone to work for some place but they had a “no relative” rule. But I decided since there was so much work here for “Machinist,” especially Journey man Machinist that we went back home March 5 and sold most of equipment, horses, etc. paid what bills we could. Painted house outside and we were back down here a week ago today (Friday). All we had was 300.00 and a lot of self confidence in how we left home.

I loaded all my mechanic & machinist took in “Dodge” and towed it behind Dallas’ Ford. Brought dishes, & bedding was about all besides our clothes.

Fried 3 days to Fend what I wanted and then run across a newspaper and for Journeyman Machinist at “Varion” which is one of the Largest electronic corp. in this area. I went for an appointment yesterday talked to “Top Man” about 2 hours. I told him he would have to hire me on what he could see in me without references. “He did”

Went back today for my physical. I am in above average condition; no problem anywhere.

I report for work Monday at 3 pm to go to work on swing shift. I will be in “Science & Research” as an experimental machinest $2.89 per hr plus 10% for night shipt. They have been working 6 days a week but will take a 2 week breather starting April 9. Then if work is still as heavy they will go back on 6 days a week for about another 3 mo.

Now what I need is information I want all birth dates & places of all our family including Shirley & Myron (everything you have) and send this application on to wherever it goes so I can get a birth certificate.

I must close as I have several more to write.

Love, Jim

PO Box 488
Saratago Calif


I will be working in Palo Alto

No comments:

Post a Comment