LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chatham, Iowa March 2, 1869


Chatham, Iowa
March 2nd, 69-

Friend Eben,

Today is Tuesday& I have not written a letter yet so I think I will begin this morning with one to you. You know you wanted the first. I havnt anything to write that will interest you but will tell you first about my journey. We reached Dubuyne at 8 oclock Saturday morn & had to wait until half past 10. then the train comes & one started for Indepependence after a long & tidious ride we arrived there & it was almost night. We went to Cousin Edmund's & staid until Sunday afternoon. we got a sleigh & came out here to Aunt Sarah's They were all surprised to see me & I was glad to see them. I did not sleep any after we left Tonica until after I went to Edmunds so I was all but tired out. have gone to sleep early every night since so I am rested & feel much better  (stress?) when I got here.

I went over to cousin Birt (?) Nalie yesterday & ad a good visit with her. Shall make it my home there after two or three weeks visiting. She is one of the best woman I ever saw. Do not know what I shall do yet will tell you some other time.

How did you get home from G all right-? I imagined I saw you all the way home. I hardly knew you that night you looked so funny with that cap & coat on. what made you wear them. so I should not know. Some body asked me about 30 times what you were out there for. I told them you had business there & you wnated to bid one good bye but they did not seem satisfied. what you told him on the Jilat(?)-form was a great mistery to him.

Am going to write home today. hope it will be done better than this or they can't read it. will write to Abbie soon. Are you going away or have you concluded to stay there.

We are having very pleasant weather here. Almost enough snow for goods sleighing. They 'll live near the Waperjinicon River & it is frozen over so they crose it with teams & when one crossed the Mississippi it was frozen so they they were crossing on it. Gorn Thunab & his wife with Ross Nartt & Iminie Warren got on board the train at Menisota & went to Dubayne. It was the first time I had seen them & they rode in the bar with us. so I could see them as much as I wanted to.

I had ever so much to say to you that night at Tonica but I did not see you long. I sent a note up to you by Jennie in the afternoon to tell you to call at Mr. West's for one ment there but I think you must have gone to G before they got home. hope you will exsuce this poor letter & if you think it worth answering I will try to do better next time. My (can't read) is such a poor one I cnt wirte. I want to hear from you just as soon as you can find time to write to.
                                  Rosa M-

Note: Rosa M is Rosaeltha Moorhead, Eben is Silas Ebben White both were married on 29 Dec 1870.

No comments:

Post a Comment