LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bloomington Kans 1953 Jun 22 - Jr. Reeder


Bloomington Kans
1953 Jun 22

Albert W. Hackerott Jr.
Bloomington, KS

Sunday June 21, 1953

Dear Shirley, Archie & Mable –

I guess it has been quite a while since I last wrote. The time goes by faster than you think but we have been busy and lots to do now. Harvest is started all around us but will be a few days before ours will be ripe enough to cut. We plan to start cutting our 2nd cutting of Alfalfa in the morning. It is very dry and hot. 111 high one day & lots of 105-108 The wheat won’t amount to much this year. Dry last fall very little snow during the winter and I guess about the driest spring we ever had. Our ponds are all dry and of course lost all our fish. The week is just running and that is all. Early spring I had good fishing at the river but no good now just a thin sheet of water going over the dam at Alton. I am sending a picture taken of the kids last fall don’t know if I sent you one like this or not. Don’t have any new ones should take more pictures. I sure would love to have been out there for your graduation & see you folks but it seems that we don’t have any slack time any more. Cattle make a lot of extra work all winter & it is go all the time during the summer. If we had known a year ago what we know now we could have sold all the cattle & feed and gone on a vacation & been way ahead.  We were at the sale last Wed. & they sold a good little red cow for %52. Just about the same price a baby calf brought this early spring. We knew this would happen have been expecting it for a long time but the thing that hurts we won’t ha feed for next winter unless it rains right away.
I have thought of it several times but never got around to get you a graduation gift. I believe you can do a better job of buying what you want than I can so will enclose a little present.

Uncle Art is very low just a matter of days now. He hasn’t taken any food or water for several days.
Aunt Laura was out to Lucille’s & we were down for dinner today. All our folk are fine. Lucille is expecting again so maybe they will tae some new pictures. The boys have gone fishing with me several times this spring & Bill caught a 17 in blue cat so he thinks he is quite a fisherman Well it is after 11 so will close for now but if I was there I could think of a lot to talk about. Hope this finds you all well.
Love Jr.


(Half a piece of paper added to the letter)
We got word this morning Uncle Art passed away during the night lasts night.
I almost forgot to thank you for the very nice picture I received. You sure wouldn’t ha to look twice to tell it is Shirley I thought it was a very good picture of you. When you get that “feller” hooked you can come to Kansas & see us> we will put him to work & see if he is any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment