LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, October 15, 2012

April 1, 1940 Ernest Birge


Okay, I'm a little confused about this relationship - I BELIEVE Ernest and Sarah are half siblings. Why he keeps calling her "Mrs. Johnson" is beyond me. I do know they were working on the family history way back then. 



Seymour Manufacturing Company
Cythe Snaths, Grain Cradles
Post Hole Diggers, Etc.
Established 1872
Seymour, Indiana

April 1, 1940

Mrs. Sarah Johnson,
1506 Y. Ave.,
La Grande, Ore.

Dear Mrs. Johnson:

I am returning to you the letter addressed to your husband with reference to the death of his sister. I am also returning the slip with reference to the death of Charles Birge, and thank you for sending both of these items to me. I think you are quite right about Elijah’s wife was named Pamelia as a cousin of my father’s wrote a letter in 1860 giving his wife’s name as Millie Sommers, which is probably the short for Pamelia.

I am inclosing to you a couple of pictures showing myself, my wife, and some of our grandchildren. This was taken at our summer home in Michigan. I trustthat you have recovered from your fall.

Sincerely yours,

(signed: Ernest N. Birge)
Ernest N. BIRGE

ENB:DF


No comments:

Post a Comment