LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

1937 - Wallowa County Relief Committee


April 23, 1937


RE; WINELAND, Irvin

Mrs. Esther Kelly Watson,
Supervisor
Children’s Department
Multnomah County Relief Committee
551 County Courthouse
Portland, Oregon

My Dear Mrs. Watson:

I have recently discussed the matter of Irvin Wineland’s care with Mrs. Archie Wineland and she has indicated that it would not be possible for them to take the child in their home without financial aid and they would like to know what assistance they would receive and from whomit would be received, should it be decided to bring the boy to Wallowa. As had been explained in previous letters, Mr. and Mrs. Wineland and small daughter have been self-supporting since their arrival in Oregon from Kansas but they have had great difficulty in remaining independent and it would be impossible for them to take another member into the family without adequate financial aid.

It is the understanding of this office that in June the Dependent Children’s Program becomes effective. However, it is not known what the procedure will be regarding children o are non-resident in the County. Will Multnomah County care for Irvin Wineland in Wallowa County? Mr. and Mrs. Winlenad would like to know what amount they would receive monthly if they did take the child. I feel sure that if financial arrangements can be made that no better care could be obtained for the boy. Has Johanna Wineland reported the whereabouts of her parents?

Yours very truly

WALLOWA COUNTY RELIEF COMMITTEE

By (Miss) Floris Sorensen, Exec. Secy.

No comments:

Post a Comment