LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

1962 - Geo & Ila


Osborne, Kansas.
Dec, 13th. 1962

Dear Archie and Mable:

Got your letter and card yesterday. I had been intending to write to you for over a month but guess I was just to lazy.

Couldn’t figure out your letter dated on July at first and then your last letter was dated on Nov 25th you must let your letters lay around for a month or so before mailing them Ha.

Well old Kansas sure had a good crop of every thing this year. Wheat averaged thrity bushels and Oats barley and corn were good and Milo was the best ever lots of milo went one Hundred and ten to twenty bushels on dry land and irrigated land as much as one hundred and fifty.

Seemed like we got rain every time we needed it. Hay and alfalfa and grass. The grass that I planted omy plowed lad is great, some of the blu steam is as high as the toas the car.

I am building a big dam on the south west corner of the section. It will be nearly thirty feet deep and will cost over three thousand dollars. The government pays half you know. Or I wouldn’t have built it.

I haven’t seen Ablert Hackerott or any of the bowlbys or Don CHRYSTLER FOR OVER A YEAR. Havent been to Natoma only once since last Spring. I was there on the night of Dec 3rd and got my fifty year Masonic pin. I was in fifty years in June 1961 but dint get my pinuntil the 3rd. Bob McEldowney and I are the only ones left alive of the ones that were in when we went in.

They said that night that Jay Russell will get his pin next year but he lives in Old Mexico. Do you remember Jay and Jess. I had forgotten all about them.

FIfty years is a long time to look ahead but not so far to look back.  Captain George Craig was the Master when I went in. Bob and Will both belonged Juis Horn Jim Pooley and Wilson Drake that I remember.

I see Marvin Wineland quite often and Shorty once in awhile. Shorty must have been pretty young when he got married. Don’t think he is over 66 or 67.

Gosh your dad must have had quite a bunch of kids in his three families. Don’t remember if I ever saw him after he married Roxie.

We a going to calif in January and I will sure go down to see Irvin and buy some of his cravings if I like them. Helen will gladly take us dwn to see him. Think that wood that he uses he shipped from Hawaii. He wrote me and told me all about it.

Now I see that JFK is going to ut taxes. I suppose it will be as much as fifteen cents per person. I really think that with in a couple grnerations that the Government will own all the land but of course they will let the people pay the taxes.

Wm and Katie were here in August for a few days. He could walk a little better but still has to use a cane. And is still in CLIF TAKING TREATMENTS> All their kids live in Colo now but Richard, Kathleen and Elane and they will move to Bolder as soon as they can.

I am glad that Shirley and Husband are back in US. When will his time be up or is he going to make a career out of it? And it will sure be nice for you and Mable to have another grandchild. Don’t suppose I wil ever have another. But it nice ti have several because the e is always of a chance of losing one or two.

Ada and her husband were here in September and said they were going to Hawaii in October and wanted us to go with them and we said we sure would and then Ada wrote and said her husband had backed out  We were really disappointed because I can hardly get Ila out of town So we finnaly did go to Utah for a few days. We went with another couple from Denver, Disnt get to see George as he was on Maoutain rounding up his cattle to sell, but we got to see all the rest and stopped by and Saw Clifford and Dude.

Well don’t wait so song to write next time.

Love to both from both of us.

Geo & Ila

No comments:

Post a Comment