LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

1971 - Elsie Woodside


 7544 – 15th Ave. SW
Seattle Wash. 98106
Friday March 5-1971

Dear Mable.

Been waiting & waiting to hear from you. I’ve talked to Mrs. Taylor three or four times since she came home. One of these days I’m going to try and get over to her house and see the pictures she has. She certainly must have enjoyed her visit. I’m so glad.

I’ve been waiting & waiting to get at least a “why don’t you write letter,” from where ever you were at, until I talked to Mrs. Taylor. Myletters to you came back & so did the 2 bundles of shopping news I had mailed. Reason I sent them, was there were notices about Gil Conte and his new place of entertaining.

Haven’t even heard from your mother since I got her card Christmas. Then she was still in Ore, but said she was going to California for Christmas.

At least I know you are still with us on this old Planet, which is really getting abused. No wonder we’re having Earthquacks & by the way was your sister in that quack area? Right now we have had snow still little here & there & so cold for this time of year. Jim hasn’t been outside to walk even as far as Dunlaps for couple of weeks.

He hasn’t been feeling to good since Christmas. Looks good but right after Christmas he got this huge bail, or carbuncle or infection, thing on his neckjust above the hair line. That was the worse thing I ever tried to take care of. It’s still has little swelling. If he’d only stop picking it. Took Dr 3 trips out to see him. Now guess what? For a week now I’ve been trying to get, whatever caused this one that’s now on his left hand. It’s on his index finger, between the knuckle joint & first joint on that finger. I think it’sover the worse now. Needless to say, Jan & Feb. have been the months I sure haven’t had much sleep. My house is really dirty but, I just don’t have strength to do much cleaning. But one of these days, I’ll surprise myself & really dig things out.

I can’t go over & see Mother as often as I’d like too, but she calls me every night. I have only seen Pinky & Bee once since the middle of Dec. Christmas was a pai in the neck. But Just Jim & I and we enjoyed a quiet day. (I think)

Say Mable, I don’t think I told you before But the tag on the outside of your pkg to me said One Tea set.” When I opened it Gordon & Don had stopped by. It was the yarn winder. Don showed me how to put it together. Anyway I went down to Irene’s & Marcia was there so I told the girls, my tea set was a yard winder. Marcia looked at Irene & then they just hawled, she said, “Oh my yarn winder whatever that is, is a ice tea set.” O we all got a laugh out of that. I still haven’t seen her “yarn winder,” & some day when I can visit for more than 15 min or so, I’ll show Marcia the yarn winder.

Mable I have so much to tell you, but I’m going to make this little short. I’m sending it to Myron & see if you get this one. Did you even get the Christmas pkg Betty MacLaughlin sent you? This week she is home sick with the Flu. So Irene didn’t get to go over there, Irene said Mac isn’t very well. She can tell you about them. Irene’s letter came back too.

It’s 7:30 a.m. I’ve got to get up & fix breakfast, dress Jim’s finger, & if I’m ready by 9:50 a.m. Irene will take me up shopping. Atta never gets going until almost supper time. Once in a while I get her to go around 3 or 3:30 but then I’m always late with supper, but I’m thankful to have some one kind enough to take me shopping & to see mother.

I’m sending this to Myron & see if you get it. If you do, please drop me a note fast. Love, Elsie

Give our love to all Did you get your tax notice ours is over $200.00 next yer it will be more.

Note: this a Mable’s best friend from Seattle. They lived 3 houses apart from each other. This friendship lasted over 50 years. Jim and  Elsie passed away in the 70’s. Grandmother was without her best friend for close to 10 years. She was greatly missed by all (our family as well).


No comments:

Post a Comment