LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A W Hackerott Jr. 1981


Date on envelope: Feb 14, 1981

Hackerott Jr.
998 Prospect
Phillipsburg, Kans. 67661

Dear Mable –

This is Lucille’s new address.
                        2600 Prinston Blvd
                        Lawrence KS  66044

We have had as mild a winter that I ever saw for Kans. We also are very dry & the last two days it has been real windy and quite a bit of dust blowing.

I was down to Bob & Lucille’s for Xmas it sure makes a long drive for me now. A little over 300 miles & $52.00 worth of gas. From what we hear gas prices will be higher yet by the n of the year. I had the flu about 3 weeks before Xmas then I caught it again when I was down to there place. The last time I was really sick for a week & I haven’t felt good summer sun to straighten me out.

Your cousin called & told me that you had called about the earth quake. I hadn’t heard it on the news until after she called.

I called & talked to Lucille this morning she said Aunt Laura had had bladder infection but was feeling better now. Grandma Leach is with them now. Francis & Ralph was at there place for dinner one day last week. They had been down to Topeka to visit their daughter Martha.

I have been looking for a motor home but haven’t found one I like so far. All the new ones are very expensive. Maybe I couldn’t afford to go camping with it anyway. We still want to make a fishing trip to Canada or Alaska. I guess this summer or fall we will go to South or maybe N Dakota & try our luck up there.

Well must close

Love, Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment