LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Warrena Bowlby 1/14/79


Warrena Bowlby,
Rooks Co. Home,
Plainville,
Kansas 67663

Dear Mable and Family:                                                         1/13/79

Thanks for the pretty handkerchief. Didn’t your mother used to make all that tatting for various things? Grandma Shuey used to tat a lot, mother never made very much of it. Also thanks for the card. The girls who work here had a little party for me, cake and coffee.

We are in the clutches of an old Kansas blizzard, zero, with high winds, Bus loads of basketball teams stranded all over the state, regardless they must play ball.

Storms like this always reminds me of the time we got stranded at Parkers, I won’t say anything about the storm that was in the book, but I will say that was the first winter Archie worked for us. He held the fort at home there was no way to communicate, the phone lines were all down. Another storm hit the middle of Mar. not nearly as severe as the other, but the cows were beginning to calve, so there were quite a lost. I guess Archie thought he had just about had it. That was in 1919.

Ralph was 89 in Nov., Angie is still with him, takes good care of him, he has failed a lot of last 2 or 3 years, but does well for his age.

I feel about as usual, some days not so good, other days a let up on the worst of the hurt. My liver still gives me a lot of trouble.

I don’t really have too much news, we are getting so many here from in and around Natoma, Mrs. Tichenor, Renee Snapp Ekey, their minds are about gone, come up with some weird stories, there are 12 others here from Natoma. A Mr. Anold came in yesterday, I suppose he is the one who used to have a shoe shop there.

Xmas wasn’t much, didn’t even have a good dinner which was unusual.

Of course before Xmas people brought in junk to eat or look at, I ate the last of the candy yesterday.

Guess that’s it, thanks again for the card and hankie, Love to all,  Warrena (signed)



No comments:

Post a Comment