LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lizzie White - Ottawa 1896

Ottawa Ill
Jan 28th 1896

My dear Old Mammy

Found your letter and was real glad to hear from you. I’m as fat and sancy as ever. And was real glad to hear that you will let me stay and horn the trade, havnt past yet decided which shop I willing to ----- will find out by nex’ Monday I’m helping Mrs Martin sew this week. Her daughter and I made a calico dress & two aprons today. Aunt Ann & I have been attending spiritualist meetings every Sunday night, up there Mrs. M- is a Inidiurm. I come home nights. I think so much of Aunt Ann. She is like a mother to me & Uncle White he is like a father to me & Carrie is like a sister & George is like a brother they are all so good to me. ANT Ann is talking of renting a piano or an organ for me. She got me a mouth organ & 2 new gingham aprons. & Carrie’s mother gave me a new apron and Emma Williams gave me a light one yesterday Carrie is making Pete an oil cloth apron & s got stuff to make him & might grooms. She is an awful free hearted girl.  She is so good to me she came up to Martins for one she thought  I might be afraid to come home alone. Got a letter from Fred and will answer it to a few days. Haven’t seen any of the folks since I came in. only Uncle Roche came up here dead drunk after me to go home with him. Aunt Ann told him I was out sewing I should not have ride out with him if he had been sober let alone drunk.

Carrie wants to know why Uncle Ebb don’t write to her. Say my dearest Mother please send me that song (he stands between live & duty) send the music & words and I will be your daughter for ever afterward Amen well I must close as it is bed time & I will have to get up early in the morning to get up there to sew well good night give my love to all the little ones tell George he must have frighten his big sister. He never writes to me any more. Take good care of Pete how I would love to have his picture taken. Well write soon I am as ever & allways will be your own loving daughter Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment