LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jul 1959 - Letter to Dad from Uncle Bob

5 Jul ‘59

Dear Myron,

I forgot about that 4 cent stamp on my last letter o’well now you know how long it takes in cas anyone wants to find out.

I’m glad you answered my letter when you did. I’ve written about 4 times more letters than I have received. I hadn’t had a letter in over a week so it sure helped. I’ve got 3 more weeks to go then I get out of school. I hope that I’ll see you in Europe, but I imagine I’ll and up in some hole in Korea. One thing about my job is regardless of where the army is, they always need someone to make out their papers, so I could end up any where from Seattle to England. I’ll know in about 2 weeks I hop.

You mentioned you might end up getting a Mercedes. I wrote Bill & told him I’d go in half way if he wanted to bring back a Mercedes. I haven’t got an answer yet so I don’t know what he thinks of the idea. I hope he’ll have rank enough to bring one home if he wants too.

You asked me how I made out with Sharon when I was home. Well we’re still on writing terms but there is still nothing serious yet. Not will I’m in the service. If she finds someone else before I get out then I guess I didn’t want her bad enough. O’well it’ll all come out in the end.

I did go to a Christian Science Church today to find out about Sharon’s religious beliefs so you can see I’ve still got her on my mind. I also wanted to find out if I’d run into any conflick over religion. If I don’t run into any thing contrary to my beliefs in the studying tht I plan to do on the subject, she’ll never know about the studying. The only conflick I’ll run into so far is a real nice gal in the church. (l’st to vive)(French)

In my school now I’m typing about 65 words a minute and I’m a little below overage on my tests on army morning reports, files, and all subjects studied. I’m about 3rd in class on my typing ability. There is 35 students I was told when I first got her, if I could type over 45 wpm I’d go overseas. I hope this is still true.

Well I’ve got KP tomorrow so I’d better get a few things done. I hope your enjoying Germany I’m sure that I would if I was there. O well who knows, I may be.
Bob

Be good to everyone we only live once yah.


A couple of pictures taken in San Francisco when I was in Basic training

No comments:

Post a Comment