LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Albert Hackerott, Jr. April 4, 1946

Thursday April 4, 1946

Hello Shirley

I wish you could have made the plane trip with me, it was swell.

Dear Archie Mable & Shirley:

I got home yesterday at 5 o’clock it was windy and quite a bit of dirt in the air but has been grand today.

I was lucky enough to get reservation on a plane from Portland to Denver. I left Portland at midnight Mon night & got into Denver at 8:50 Tuesday morning. I stayed over in Denver that day & night & left at 7:00 o’clock Wed morning hitch hiking home. I could have waited until 1 o’clock and taken the train but it was so windy & nasty in Denver that I was ready to leave. Anyway it took me longer to get from Denver home than it did from Portland to Denver. I saw bonnie & Del. He had to go to a union meeting so only got to talk to him for a few min. I was down to the rubber pant where Bonnie works  & had talked to her in the afternoon.

Dad has been painting & cleaning up the house & we are going to have one room papered Sat. I helped paint today so I got off to a good start on my first day home. The farm work is all caught up for a while but a lot of fixing up to do.


Grandma saved me a piece of the wedding cake so I got in on part of the wedding anyway.   We have to go to town tomorrow after more paint & wall paper & I guess we will paint the outside of the house if we get around to it. The wheat looks grand here but wasn’t so good in eastern Colo & edge of western Kansas. There was a lot of dust blowing in places out there when I came thru. I will write more in a few days about my fishing in Portland & goig up on Mt. Hood. It’s getting late so will close. Lots of Love, Albert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment