LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Irving Wineland - May 8, 1939

Anchorage Alaska
May 8-39
Dear Bro Mable & Shirley:
I should have written sooner but you know how hard it is for me to write.
We have been here in Anchorage for a couple of months. You can see Mt McKinley from here, we are about 275 miles south west of Fairbanks. One can see the Aleutian Islands down the Alaska pensula from  here, it is 110 miles by rail road from Award to here.
As far as I know now I will be going over to Bristol Bay to Fish, the season there is about 30 to 40 days long, but they all make from 1500. Up to 3,000 for 24 days fishing then when I get back Mildred and I are going to Fairbanks and take a steamer down the Yukon River to a village called Ruby then we will fly to Nome, we have a tip on a very rich creek one old fellow 82 years old took out $90,000 last summer and he is the only one working in that place. We will out fit in Nome and fly there and we can prospect for a month and a half then we will have to build a log cabin and get in plenty of wood for the winter as we both want to spend the winter out trapping and hunting for wolves and there are lots of foxes in that country. I think from all reports that the Nome district is by far the best place in Alask to prospect. Two avaitors from Nome went out two years ago bot were $1,400 in debt and the 1st summer took out $30,000 and last year they took out 40 thousand, not bad.
If we do hit anything good, I’ll sure have you folks come up.
Write and tell me all the news.
We saw 2 big moose as we came over the pass by rail from Seward.
Lots of big Kodiak Brown bear and Grizzleys in this country as well as Mt. Sheep and caribon.
As ever your bro

Irv & Mildred

No comments:

Post a Comment