LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, July 2, 2018

Ray Simpson - Dec 31, 1985


Grainfield, Kans
June 28 (1943)

Dear Archie & Mable

I see your nice long letter and was sure glad to here from you. Geo sent me this letter you wrote to him. And I intended to write to you but I had been pretty busy and never got around to it.

We are still in Grainfield have been here 5 years but don’t no how long we will be here. The Fellow that owns it is trying to sell it, so we will have to get out when ever he sells it. The Boys Harold & Clifford wants us to come to Siverton Colo where they are. They both work in the Pride of the West mine.

Harold has been making over $600 a month. He runs a machine.

And Clifford makes between 4 & 5 hundred a month. He is married again. He got married last Nov I and Bess was there and went to New Mexico with them to get marrid. Silverton is only 75 or 80 miles from New Mexico we were out there & over in Utah to Geo for 2 months last fall. I went hunting Deer with Geo and got one the first day and Geo got 3.

Bobs oldest Boy Bobbi is in Australia he is in the Navy and Harold Alice second Boy is in the Solomon Islands he is a Marine.

And Geo Cliffords oldest Boy is at Tasal Utah forman of the Cross H Ranch. He married the Bossis niece and has a good job. Marold got killed in an Auto Accident out there three years ago in Sept.

Bob lives down buy Sludley he run the Robinson Elevator there a year. He quit a month ago and is working in the Oil Field in the Pratt Ranch at Studley they have brought in two dandy good wells. They run 12 to 14 hundred Barells a day.

Alice just has 1 Boy at home he is about 14 years old. And his Girl has been working in Wichita in an Airplane Factory.

John & Syliva still live out there where they did when you was there last. We had the Bigist Hail storm through here a week ago last Thursday nite. It reached from Alakley to Salina and it was from 10 to 12 miles wide. It just mowed everything down.

We had the finiest Garden that we ever had and it just ruined it.

Rawl Alice & Bird and the two Sylvias & Johny came in yesterday and had my Birthday Dinner. My Birthday was last Thursday and your mother a week ago to day. She would have been 66 if she had lived. I was 69 that’s getting pretty Damed Old. I don’t feel so good  but have been working all spring I may drive Johns Truck in Harvest.

Rosa lives at Atwood. Curry runs the Port of Entry and sells gas & Oil and Baldwin Combines.

Alice Rosas Girl works for JC Pennys in Topeka. She is 19 years old Geo is still in his Ranch  in Utah he has 3 boys. He is doing well.

Harold has 2 Boys Billy & Darell.

Rosas Boy finished High School this year. She has another Baby Boy born the 9th of March.
The 2 Red Headed Girls looks like Twins Shirley is a little taller than Bessie Jean and a couple of lbs heavier. I had a letter from Netti. She is not very well. I have not seen Geo or Wm since last Sept. Wm three Girls are in California.

Did Irvin have any children from all his wives. Why don’t he even write to me. Tell hm I would like to here from him.

Well I guess I had better ring off Aunt Bess sends her love. Be sure and write.

Love
Uncle Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment