LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

John A. Morton, Secy (The Morton-Parsons Mercantile Co.) 1901

The MORTON PARSONS MERCANTILE CO INCORPORATED

(I will take a photo of the letter – as the heading is really eye catching)

Osborne, Kans.    May 2    1901

Mr. & Mrs. S.E. White,

My Dear Friends,

Your brief note of yesterday just received. I was surprised and shocked to learn of your daughter’s death not having heard of her illness. On examing the Farmer I find urention made of her illness presumably lock jaw. It is so sudden and so unepected that it scarely seems as if it can be true. The thought comes to me again in as this time, as it has so many times in the past. How will I feel when death again enters my family. As it surely will sooner or later, and how will I feel when I fully realize that my own days are numbered. Of course as you know I have stood by the open grave of war ones a number of times in the past but it seems as though it makes me sadder and sadder as I get older. I have a strong hope that there is a brighter life for you and that you and I and our dear ones will share it.

“Alas for him who never sees
The light shines through the
Cypress tries.”

I wish to assure you of my heartfelt sympathy at this time but I know how poor a consolation words are when death has claimed a dear one. – I will write aga soon. Your friend sincerely, John Morton



No comments:

Post a Comment