LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nettie and Joe 1939

Ft. Collins Colo
11-9-39

Dear Mabel & Archie –

We received your nice long letters some time ago – I’ve been so busy all summer & fall & seems like I’ll never get any extra rest –

We brought quite a few things when we came home from Fathers funeral –

Just some dishes & books – We all got together of course & staid with Father til he died. Fred slept in his room & waited on him Sat nite & Sun & Mon nites – Father was restless but didn’t seem to suffer – I sat up with the boys most of Wed nite – He never came to after Tues at 9: PM & so we were near him all the time – some of us. Then we all went out to the farm & went up in attic & gathered things up. Sure wasn’t much let – as mice had chewed up things Father had lots of books so we tried to divide those Had such a little time to do thigs in. Yes Archie as far as I’m concerned you could have Fathers watch – I think its at Wm’s as all the boys had watches. Don’t think it was a very good one – Think some books may be there of yours too. Really wasn’t much of any thing – They gave Fred Father’s ring & Wm his over coat – He had another older, over coat & they sent that to Joe. Lonie was to have the old Dresser but when he died Kittie said she wouldn’t eect to have it – so Father said I could have it – as all the rest have furniture & I’ll be glad to have it – when ever we can get it out here.

Thanks for Shirley’s picture I’m glad to have it. Yes we found that picture of you & Wm & will try & send it some time Archie.

We’ve had a wonderful fall – Just a light snow a few weeks ago - & last wek has been like spring. Today it is snowing so may be winter is here.

Joe got a deer & Bob too – so we girls put up 24 qt & have some down town in the cooler.

Joe will probably go duck hunting this eve. &will also go Pheasant hunting when the season opens. We made 4 gallon mince meat - & used the venison in it – Is ral good I think. I made some green tomato preserve this week & think I’m about thru canning & I’m tired of it. made over 50 doz cucumber sweet pickles & a few watermelon & beet pickles. & made cherry sun preserves & peach butter - & canned little corn. & some jell- (& fruit) – few peaches – plums – Apricots – 40 qt cherries Red & block raspberries. So we won’t starve for awhile – Business is so poor in wnter Just hope we don’t have to go in debt.

Am so glad you are better since having tonsils out Archie. & do hope you all will be fine all winter & that U will have work enuf to keep you, & that things will soon get better for you.

Rosa & Curry & another couple came out in Deer season & staid 2 days & 2 nites. Didn’t get a deer tho. Fred was here too & hunted some then Harold came up from Idaho Spr. & got him & he hunted down there – but no luck. M. & Bob are ok. They are still out to the track & will probably be all winter. Suppose U know that Elaine had a baby & that Elaine is married. Hated to see her get married for she helped Katie so much. & she was so young – They don’t get a chance to see any of the world or do things for themselves. But guess she will be the kind that will take care of her self.

Fri morn – 20* above this morning – not much news to write – I don’t hear from homoe very often now & miss Fathers cards.

Suppose U get the Natoma paper so read Fathers ibituary – The “Farmer” had such a nice write up - & would like to send U one – but I had to send  & buy 2 for M & I – Perhaps some one else sent you one.

Must stop & iron & cut  wash my hair – we are invited to a party Sun nite – one of our friends birthday – s o  his wife is having party for Joe & her husband – Tho Joe’s birthday is past – Lots Love & write when U can

Nettie & Joe


  

No comments:

Post a Comment