LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Monday, December 25, 2017

Post Mark dated Aug 31, 1960 - Forrest Matheson

Home Tuesday am

Dear Archie & Mable

Here it is another day. Nothing to do, but do nothing until tonite, then I can rest all night again. Some life, huh! Was to see my Dr. yesterday and was pretty discouraging. He told me I was a long, long way from being over this. He said it would be a long time before I could even start to get any exercise. This is sure hard to swallow.  It could be worse though. I could be on hospital. The other Dr there told me I should have been confined to bed all this time. I talked real fast to get out of that one.

I’m wandering about Uncle Jim Matheson, is he still alive? Do you have his address, and do you have any pictures of him. I am going to try to write a story about him and his rattle snake killing. Also maybe do one about Him & Archie & I hunting coyote pups.

Archie, write me a letter and tell me all you remember about where we hunted, also about the names of the pastures etc. What pasture was it in that you got into rattle snake Den & left your shovel. Jim went back and killed 6 or 8 & almost walked out & touched the one up in the crack in rocks, only you stopped him twice.

Do you have any pictures that I could have to refresh my memory.

I wish I had a lot of money, we would fly back there sometimes & get another look at all of the country, plus take a few pictures.

I would like to try to write a short story on the time you, Hanh Barth, & I went over south of Bartts to some big pasture & ahead that 35# coom Do you remember that. I can remember all the details but what pasture it was in.

How about the time we went coon hunting at Fairpont & got 2 coons out of one tree. Bill finally climbed up & shot them with pistol. Pulled them out of hollow limb.

Then the time the dogs got the coon in the river at Packers & climbed onto Queeni head & what a time we had killing it.

How about the time we went down to Nick Daws cornfield when they were ruining his corn. We waited until we could hear them breaking the ears down, then turned dogs loose & ran out into middle of field. One of them hit Nick on leg, run right up his leg. (wow)

Then there was the night you & I were on ouch(?) by Daws & we heard the coon scream (scribble – my hair). Could almost get goose pimples yet about hearing that one.

Remember the night we caught 4 or 6 possums in the add dead cow carcase. (we never ate anymre possium). That was the night you dropped your flashlight in river.

How about old “Slew fort” the big coon we always chased, up in parlor comfull (where the sand plimp were), but we never did catch him.

Think of all the catfish we used to catch over on the old Saline River. In between swatting flies we caught some pretty good channel cats. Took them home & put them in water tank & kept them quite a while.

I don’t suppose I will ever forget the fall we caught all the skinks & put them in Hogan’s barn left. Then when we had the skinning party & skinned all of them. Dean & I was out one night in Pats pasture just N. East of barn when I looked up & saw a skunk against skyline on top of hill. Dean & I run up & caught it & put it in sack. Old Queen sure looked silly when she came bawly upp on its trail & we had it already in sack. The next one I picked up got me “right in the eye.” Man that sure was potent.

Do you remember the time old “Gunboat” balked when we tried to make him pull the model T, after you weckauld it, and you poured hylips over his tail & I rode him all over pasture with the harness on and every time he slowed down I paused a little more on. I don’t recall he ever balked again.

Another thing I will never forget was the time we were cleaning out the feedway in barn & mouse ran up my overall leg. Man I sure (?) & was dance for a while. He didn’t bite me but every time he crossed over from one leg to the other one it “tickled,” we didn’t wear shorts in those days, you know.

Then I recall another time we picked turkey at Phijen & stuffed them full of bolts & nuts, got rid of a whole box of them.

I guess I could ramble on & on for days about those things, seems like just yesterday. Archie you know we used to spend a lot of time together in those days. I could set & visit with you now by the hour about old times & all the things we used to enjoy together (you were my dad), but when you cont hear so good I know it takes the joy out of it. But we could write and then it wouldn’t matter whether you heard or not. We could enjoy many hours of happy memories together this way.

Nothing would give Leorne & I greater pleasure than to take a trip back to Kansas some time with you two. You have kept in touch with things there while I haven’t. I really never cared too much about going back, before, but now I would like to see the old places once more.

If I could lean to write I would like to see a few places & do a few things yet. I believe I could lean to write. I have a very good memory of places & things, since I have been older.

Well I will close, but please answer soon. It sure is lonesome. I don’t see why I wasn’t rich then I could visit all of you while I can’t work.

Dr. says I couldn’t give it to anyone unless they drank after me or eat of by me, or close contact. Cant kiss anybody goodbye, that’s terrible.

Love,

Forrest & Family 

No comments:

Post a Comment