LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Wilda Matheson Simpson - July 21, 1967

Plainville, Kansas
July 21, 1967

Dearest Mable,

I enjoyed so much having you here those few days. We had such a nice visit. I had been thinking about you & wondering if you had gotten home yet.

A lot has happened since you left We’re still getting some rain. It was terribly hot & humid on July 8, 9, 10. Then it cooled off again.

Ray & Lyle practiced for the pageant the night after you left. The performances all went off jyst perfect & such big crowds & people really liked it. Tuesday, July 4, it rained all day so they didn’t have it that night. Debra & I went to it Wednesday & it was beautiful. That was the last night Ray was in it. His leg gave out on him & he finally had to go to the hospital on Sat the 8th. He came home the 19th but may have to go back again. He feels pretty good in the day time but suffers so at night. I slept about 3 hours last night. It is the sciatic nerve.

Centennial week went off real well. We went to town about every day to see the parades, etc. Ray & Lyle won the beard  contest – Ray (wooliest) & Lyle (longest). They will get a plaque with their picture on it. Ray shaved Wednesday in the hospital. Lyle still has his beard. I don’t know when Ray will be able to go back to work.

Jim went to Illinois this week to take 10 weeks of shooli. He will then go back to Colorado Springs for a month & a half & then they will be stationed in Maine. That is so far away but much better than overseas – so I won’t grumble too much.

Dana are getting settled in their new home & his new job in Virginia. We haven’t heard from Bills lately.

We got a letter from Bob the other day. He said Lowell Wayne Dawe had been to see him in Vietnam. He is just 4 miles from Bob. Zepha had asked me for Bob’s address.

We were in Natoma today & Aunt Jean said Uncle Art is depressed & hasn’t a good appetite. We didn’t get to see him. He was uptown.

Lyle is still here with us until Ray gets to feeling better. His puppies are really growing.

I haven’t heard a word from Bonnie since the night we called her. I hope she is OK.

Yes, we heard about all the big hail storms. We were lucky. We just got some small hail early & no more.

I expect you’re about ready to be going to Shirleys. Please tell her & her family hello for us. I’d like to see all of them sometimes. I bet your dog was happy to see you. Ginger was so tickled when Ray ame home from the hospital.

Just 5 more weeks until school starts. That time will go pretty fast. I don’t know if we’re going to get to go to Denver & Colo Springs in August or not.

I must stop for now. Hope you have a nice time in Alaska. Write when you can,

Love,

Wilda


PS Lyle said that Glenn Kaster said that both he & Uncle Carl are in the picture of the Central Kansas Power Co. men working on K18 west of Natoma on the inside cover of the “Indiana to Industry” book you bought in Hays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment