LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Ray & Wilda (Matheson) Simpson May 19, 1961


Plainville, KS
May 19, 1961

Dear Mable & Archie,

So glad to hear from you & that you are coming out to visit. You are coming the right year, too, for it is our Centennial year & there is lots going on in the neighboring towns. The larger places are putting on some real good entertainment. Plainville will celebrate June 1, 2, 3, 4 & they will have one of the nicest celebrations around here.

We won’t be here when you get here but will be back before you leave so we surely will have some good old visits with you. I’m so glad you’re coming. Today was our last day of school & we are leaving Sunday to go to Michigan to visit Jim & his family. We’re so excited. We haven’t seen their youngest – Patricia – She’ll be just the cutest age – about 5 ½ or 6 months. Ray’s vacation is from Sunday May 21 to June 1! So we’ll be back the last week you’re here – as we may be home a little earlier.

Yes, will try to get all the relatives together here that we can. The Uncles & Aunts have aged a lot – including my folks.

Oh yes – back to the Centennial – Beards everywhere & in some towns the men, women & kids are wearing old time clothing & there are Centennial Jails. Etc. Ray, Bob & Bill have beards & we are all having lots of fun. We hate to miss the celibration at Plainville but will be back for the one in Hays. Bob’s outfit is real cute – like Wyatt Erp, Bat Masterson or the Mavericks. He even made himself a fancy Walking Stick.

I hope you have some movies of Shirley & her family. I’d sure like to see them. I bet you & Bonnie will have a nice visit. You & Jo Hogan, too.

Bill & family live in Hays. They have 3 real cute little kids.

I am at Edna’s Beauty Shop in Natoma under the Dryer writing on my lap. I hope you can read this.

Yes, Mable, we’ll see that you & I have at least 1 day with just you & me to have a good old “gab fest” like we used to. We could talk for hours & the time went so fast we wondered where it had gone. This is the only time we could take our vacation this summer because college starts June 14 & ends Aug 10. We couldn’t go anywhere after Aug 10 & get back in time for Institute & School. I hae to go over & enroll the 14th.

Archie, will surely be gald to see you, too. We’ve been having quite a lot of rainy weather lately, but by the time you folks get here it may be hot & dry. You know how Kansas is.

Ray & I have quite a few gray hairs now but, after all, we have 6 grandchildren. Our kids are all fine & so are the grandkids. We had our 30 Wedding Anniversary May 2nd.

Well, I must stop now. My hair is nearly dry. I’ll have to hurry home for I still have 101 things yet to do. We even have to have a school picnic tomorrow. So take care of yourselves. God bless you & will be seeing you soon.

Love,
Wilda, Ray & Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment