LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Eugene OR - Bill's Death

 Eugene Oregon

Dec 19, 1941

 Dear Mrs. Wineland –

 Received your letter today and am sending you a clipping that will explain about Bill. It is a terrible thing and the man has been indicted on 2nd degree murder charge. His trial comes up Jan 5th and I wish they could hang him. He hit Bill with asomething and I don’t think Bill ever knew what hit him. I guess you knew Jennie left Bill and Wayne two years ago. Wayne joined the Navy this last of Oct. He was home just a week and we heard from him today. They had intended to send him to air school in Seattle but now that the war is on he will have to do Sea Service and heaven only knows what that means. He said he would let us know his address later as he didn’t know himself. I’ll let you know when I find out if you want me to.

 I have heard Jeannie and Bill mention you folks but I can’t place you. Wish you’d tell me which cousin you are. You may hear that Bill drank a ot but don’t believe too much. He didn’t drink any more than the rest of the family. He was divorced in Cottage Grove and he had made a lot of friends there. I can’t yet believe he is gone. Jennie was here and acted mighty sorry. She went back to Baker, Oregon 2436 Church St. but I haven’t heard from her since she went back. Thanks for writing and would like to hear from you. 992 Willamette St. Eugene Oregon.

 

A.V. Gayer (Vice)

Return address is Gayer Rm#6

Eugene Credit Co.

902 Willamette St.

Eugene Oregon.

 

Note: This may be the other Wineland family that I have been trying to find. We met a Wineland that knew my grandmother but had no idea who his father was. Said his father was killed in Oregon and his mother never talked about him. At this time I do not know if he is Wineland or someone else. Article is missing from letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment