LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Family Reunion! 1936

Found this post card in the box of letters I'm working on.



I often wonder how much it had to cost to get stuff printed by the printer. Was it as expensive as it is now, or was it cheaper? Not everyone had access to printing like we do today.

Amazing to see the Wineland's had reunions even back in 1936 to this day! It has been a family tradition to have a Wineland family reunion. Makes me wonder how many still keep the Wineland name.


Now for another letter from the White family:

Envelope: Mrs. Wm. White, Natoma, Kans.

Natoma, Kansas
March 9, 1942

Dear Mabel & Archie,

Your letter came a few days ago and we were all so glad to hear from you. We hope it will never be necessary to send Shirley back to us but you know she would be welcome and I would take the best care of her I could. I think it would be nice for all concerned if Jo would take a special interest in her and perhaps keep her part of the time. You know a home with so many children means more or less confusion and as Shirley has never lived in such a home it might worry and tire her. The children all think it woul be fine to have another little girl here. As Richard was getting ready for bed tonite he talked about it and sad "Then if Kathleen didn't want to play with me, Shirley would, wouldn't she mother?" I don't know how Jo would feel about it but it seems to me she would be thrilled to have some one to be interested in. If it is going to be so dangerous there why don't you all come back? Wilda's husband told us they were going to start for Oregan the 15th. There are plenty of jobs her so it isn't that that takes them back. perhaps they won't get started tho as Wm. said this evening that their boys have the measles. We just finished with them and I am glad they are done with. Elaine had them first, then all the girls here and finally Richard. Elaine's baby has them now and she says he is pretty sick today. Poor little fellow, he has had two kinds of measles and the whooping cough since he came back here last summer. He doesn't seem to have been hurt seriously tho as he weighs thirty pounds at eighteen months. Nearly as much as Richard weighs. You asked where Elaine lives. Frank Reiner has built two little modern houses to rent, just across east from their house and they live in one of them. It is just a tiny place - kitchen with dining place in the ends, living room bed room and bath. A little back porch too. Is clean and new and fixed up cute. They bought their own furniture. A three piece bed room suite, Small overstuffed set for living room and breakfast set. Dallas has a good job - pumping in the oil fields - but they got behind before they got it so are still paying off old debts. In a few more months now they will be out of debt and then should be able to save a little. If the war keeps on I suppose he will have to go into the army but so far is in class three.

Eloise is well. She looked fine after the last baby came but says she has not felt so good just lately and seems to take cold easily which is unusual for her. The babies are as nice and healthy as can be. I do hope they have no more for a while. They say they have their family but of course they are not certain about it. Eloise is a very good mother. Has a world of patience and takes lot of puins (?) with babies. Thaine is just as good a father. I In fact I never saw so young a man be so wild about his babies and they are crazy about him. He works for the state Hiway Dept. and draws good money but it means moving all times. They finally got a trailer house which is better for them. Eloise wrote lately that they have applied for a job in the munitein plant at Denver and seemed ancious to live in one place for a while. Eloise budgets their money and makes it go a lot farther than I can make ours go.

I think I must quit and go to bed. I washed today - a little for Elaine besides mine so it was a big one. Even moved a few things this evening.so I'm tired. Oh, yes. I'm heavier. Weigh 135 and sometimes got close to 140 but I feel lots better than I used to so its o.k. Elizabeth surely has changed. She graduates this year. will be 18 next week, no the 24th it is. Thinks she will take a nursing course. Write again, and thanks for the compliment you give me when you ask me to take care of your most precious possession. We all think she is a very cute little girl. Is she still very blond? I'm sending these pictures to Archie. That he thout he would appreciate the cowboy. ha ha.

When he grows up he wants to be a cowboy ust like Jean Autry or Hop-o-long Cassidy. (you can tell he goes to movies, can't you.)

Good Night, Love to all

Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment