LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wed eve Dec 18 (1963?)

Wed eve, Dec 18,

Dear Archie and Mabel:

    We'll you'll be supprised to get a letter from me this quick but just thinking of what Archie asked me if I knew anything about the Winelands in Penn. during the whiskey Rebelian which was I believe in 1835 or 36. Yes grandfather was only about 4 years old then as he was born I believe 1831 or '32 I believe his father was running a still and all of his family and the neighbors took to the hills until things settled down, then I think he moved to Ohio and grandfather was there till he was 16 or 17 there he and another neighbor boy took off for the wide open spaces west then joined up with a morman wagon train then they went to Salt Lake and they stayed there for 5 or 6 mo until the Mormans ran them off for not joining the Morman church Grandfather's name is in corner stone of the Tabernacle. I think that grandfathers - father, came to Penn from Germany around 1810 -I remember grandfather had his family's old German Bills that his father brought from Germany - buty what happened to it, is your guess is as good as mine - Ira, or Mattie came up with it is my guess. I know grandfather said that the family was descended or lived in the Rhine Valley in Germany - and thas Wineland was derived from Grape country.
    I guess Uncle Geo was just spreading it on about our place, we had is built to our specifications, we only have 2 bedrooms but it is well built all 4x4 & 2x8 floor joists and 2" tongue & grove sub floor with hard wood floors over that, we do have a nice big fire place with a heatolater in it, that we enjoy. We have 25 avacado trees with 3 orange trees about 14000 sq ft lot I think 95x150 or something like that. I was down in San Diego to the hospital Monday forsome xrays on my kidneys & blader and I have to go back tomorrow again I'll be glad when the release me entirely I made up a number of Cherry wood plates and carved some birds - I sold everything out as fast as I made them up, I carved a dogwood flower and on some I carved Holly flower and they all went out. I told Marion I'd start in June or July and make up 50 or 100 such things and I could sell all of them toward Xmas. I'm going to take it a little easier from now on.
   Archie why don't you take your Social Security now? I think you'll loose some if you don't keep working and pay in full amt, better ask about it and find out. I know I lost a few dollars on ac't I did not work the last 2 or three years, it all counts up.
     We sent you a fruit pkg, just wondered if you got it O.K.
     Well have a Merry Xmas and a Most Happy New Year -
                                                                                            Love,

                                                                                                Marion & Irv.

No comments:

Post a Comment