LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Ken Hodge - Portland July 25, 1984


Portland
July 25, 1984

Dear Lynn & Pat:

Sorry for the long delay in answering your lovely letter, but I had a bit of tough luck, & drank too much and got jack rolled, couldn’t even pay my rent, now I have to pay double next month, of course I could’t get any stamps, I usually have some on hand but.

I won’t say much about myself, but I was in the Army, also a long time in the Merchant Marine, been to all countries but England and Scandinavia lived for ten years in Australia but had to come back to the US in 1964.

I hope you can decipher my damned writing, after all I’m 64 years old but I can still perform whatever.

I’m now living in a hell of a dump, its run down and most of the roomers are exlunatics or corrects sure is a nut house along wit the roaches and noise I manage to survive.

Just where is this town that you are living? I’ve never heard of it before. My home town is Anacortes wish I could see it again.

Well Dear ones this is all the BS I can think of for now. Hope to have better news next time, I’ll be moving to an apt. in Sept. I hope.

Love to you both

As ever, Ken
This won’t be posted till the 1st anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment