326 ½ So Spring St
Los Angeles
Mar 12, 1933
Dear Bro and wife:
Well I expect that you’ll be somewhat surprised to hear from
me but I have been moving around quite a bit the last few years. I came down
from Portland the Spring of 1930 and worked in Oakland and San Francisco till
last fall I came down her to L.A. I have been trying to get something steady
but things have been bad here too.
I suppose you have heard about the big earth quake we had
here Friday evening at 5:55 PM I was on a street car but it rocked like a boat
about a dozen towns from 4000 population to 100,000 like Long Beach are all
laid to waste approximately 50 million dollars damage – stores 6 to 8 stories
just crumbled and people are living in tents – but LA didn’t get the blunt of
the shock but still large plate glass windows were broken and lots of bricks
and stones came off buildings here.
How are everybody and how have you and Mabel been – how is
grandfather White? Also all the rest of the folks?
I tied up all my money two years ago in a gold mine and I sure have been short of cash, but I manage to get along and one of these days I’ll be sitting on top yet. I have just located an old lost mine here in So California that the early Indians took lots of gold out of and finally they and the mine disappeared but I have located an old hill Billie living like a hermit way up in an out of the way place about 125 miles North of LA in the coast range and he’s sure enough located it – I am just waiting till the snow gets off so we can pack up to it and stake out all that ground and we’ll file on it and proceed to develop or sell it as I have several mining co’s who would grab it in a minute, so I am just waiting for time and I have an hunch, Archie, that I’ll come out OK so if I manage to get my hands on plenty of money, why you’ll probably will see me sometime this summer or Fall as I would like to drive on through to see the Chicago World’s Fair.
Now write folks and tell me all the news and lets try to keep in touch with each other, I know that I wrote a letter to you and I never did get any answer – I couldn’t quite understand?
To ever Your loving bro
I G Wineland
326 ½ So Spring St
Los Angeles
No comments:
Post a Comment