LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Los Angeles June 30, 1936 - Irvin Wineland

 Los Angeles CA

June 20, ‘36

Dear Bro and All:

I rec’d your letter this morning and as I’m down with a terrible cold in fact, I’ve walked the floor from 2 o’clock on. It’s in my head and I’ve just used everything, but I’m going down to our Dr. today and have some light infra Red Ray treatments that’ll help dry it up.

So you’re in Ore – I was wondering why you hadn’t answered my letter and was also sent a present to the Babe, have you gotten it?

Well compress put through the bonus finally. I’ve 633.00 coming. We’d better get it now, for if we wait till ’45 we’d have less than a hundred coming – of course we won’t be able to cash them till June 15th

Well Archie, as I wrote you that work was pretty slow here on the coast – that if one is lucky and can land a job, all well and good but it’s tough if on can’t. I took several civil service examinations – one in the US Postal Service, if I get on, I’ll certainly be glad as it starts out with from 150 to 170- a month. Now if you are planning on being up there this Summer I’ll sure come up and possibly we can take a jaunt fishing.

Well we have been fortunate here as to liquir as we have a broker friend who gets us any kind of whiskey or Gin or Rum as wholesale price for instance we and some friends got a case of Old Quaker Whiskey at $1.49 a qt. and it retails as 2.08 so our drinks don’t cost a great deal. I got a bottle of Teacher’s Highland Cream Scotch for 2.70 a fifth that’s 8 years old.

But we don’t dink a great deal, and I think one is better off not to, too much I had sort of planned on taking a trip back to the Grand Mesa Country in Colo with a friend here – he’s been all over Colorado – he’s a great fly fisherman and dess that in the back country there, it can’t be beat.

I have also another friend here in LA who might get a proposition from a party who has just made $40,000 on a deal to go up in Idaho and operate a placer claim that has been offered him and he wants me to go with him, if he gets the job said he pay me wages and expenses so if he does I’ll sure get you on if you want me to. It’ll pay around 5 or 6 dollars a day. I have a very good friend in Walla Walla who works in the Post Office there, that I knew in the Army – he possibly might be able to get or know of something for you.

I suppose that all the folks were well when you saw them?

I thought about getting a new car, but I’d rather have a little bit laid away for a rainy day than a new car. We have a Wilys (?) Knight 30 model it gets us anywhere with a minimum expense and I’ve had it repainted, so it doesn’t look so bad.

How did the babe and Mabel stand the trip, I suppose that you hit some cold weather, or Maybe that cold spell was after you got out to Ore.

Now don’t wait to write, as long as you did the last time please.

Her’s hoping you can land a good position of some kind soon, Archie – and hope that you folks all keep well –

 

Your loving bro


Irvin

1726 – 7th Ave LA

No comments:

Post a Comment