LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dec 31, 1894 Vermillinville - Lizzie Little White

Vermillinville

Dec 31, 1894

My Dear Mother,

I got your letter Saturday evening and you said you had not hear from  me for such a loong time I sent a long letter to Father & you about a week ago. & I dont see why you did not get it. Aunt Add said you was afraid I was sick I wish you could see me. Well I'm hired girl now a days Aunt Nell has been sick and I'm staying here. Cousin George is working for Uncle Will now. and his wife & Baby is out visiting. Oh she has got the nicest baby that ever was.
Well what did you get for Christmas. Aunt Add gave me an Album. Uncle Mose a brushe & Comb. Aunt Nell a little basket with bottle of perfume. we didn't have a white Christmas here we had'nt had a bit of snow till last Thursday. just covered the ground. I'm afraid I wont get any Sligh rides this Winter. I went to a hut in Lowell and I went to Uncle Jules & Agnes and I & Jim went to a Dutch hut the next night. Uncle Will & George is going off to fore wells this week. Uncle Will & I went to Anne s last night I was very much surprised to hear that Father had gone down to Wilem (Salem?) hear he had a good time. write all about it. say how cold does it get in Kansas it was 10 below zero the other day. & Uncle Jule was asking me how cold it ever got in Kansas I was ashamed to think I couldent tell. George just came in and says to tell Uncle Ebb it is pretty cussed cold to day. There is a Masgriadi dance to night - but guess I wont go. Carri & I done a big washing for Aunt Nell & I'm just awful tired. I'm going to go down to Aunt Adds this afternoon with Grandma Aunt Nell hates to have her go any place alone. I wrote to Fred the same time that I wrote to you Folks but haven't got any answer didn't he get it.? I want to take their letter along with me or I wuld write to George. Oh how I do hate to write I must wirte to Grandma M.  Well Grandma is ready & I must close for this time. & my dear old Mother I will try and write often. after this. I send my Love to all & a great big share for yourself. write soon, your Disobedient child. Lizzie


Personal note: It was hard to write the letter saying my gr-grandmother had passed. I knew all about it, but when I sit here typing letters from her, learning about her, it hits hard. She's alive when I read her letters. She's an interesting and fun loving daughter to her parents. I'm learning a lot about her. A grandmother I wish I would have been able to meet, or that my mother could have met and told stories about.

No comments:

Post a Comment