LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

1957/8 - Archie Wineland


Dear Shirley and all. I guess I better write you ro you will for get you have a dad. We have been awful busy this fall at the cemetery. I’ve gained in weight and feel better. I want to kee working till we get out of Debt. We had quite a wind Friday night lots of trees were blown. Didn’t do any damage here at home here. It has rained a lot here the last couple of weeks.
Did you get all your furnisher from Coose Bay? How do you like the East Coast? I suppose things are high there. Are you living near where the water gets p to you when you get lots of wind? How do you like your new Job Myron, I suppose you are busy and how do yo like the east coast? Guess the world Series are drounded out, so we will have to wait till the ground dries up.
I didn’t go hunting this year as I’m waiting till you get here, so we can go to gather. I sure hated to see you leave us. Someday if I live that long, maybe we can get near together. I suppose Chris and that little dutch girl are busy as a bee. Say Shirley I think we owe you some money, if you need it anytime, say so. What do you think about Xmas things for the kids = write and tell us.
Those people who lived in the house south of us moved out and another family bought the place I think they will be good neibors. Man and wife and girl I suppose around 11 or 12. I helped them today cleaning the yard.
He works nights a a filling station. I think they will be ok. That other family didn’t do much about cleaning up.
Chris that Cat of yours is sneaking up in my lap. Guess he wants to tell you hello.
Well mom and Elsie should be coming in they went down to the Fair to see and hear Marine Band I think. (oh yes the other night when the wind blowed all the lights went out. They came on about 4 o/c) The Beck boy brought over a lamp so we put the candles out.
Are wages any higher back there? And is there lots of work? I’m afraid that our president is letting the commies getting too much of a hold in Cuba.
Well I’ll quit for now and finish later.

Mable Wineland’s handwriting at the end of the letter: Archie wrote this Sun while I was gon so will tuck it in too. He didn’t get it finished.

Note: This was probably writing in1957/1958. Believe it was before Pennie’s birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment