LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Nov 30th 1894 - Lizzie Little White

Vermillionville
Nov 30th 1894

Dear Father,

I got your letter the other day and was very glad to hear from you so soon. Uncle Will has got his house here, at last and I have been down here all week helping Aunt Nell Clean house it jarred the house considerable and cracked the plastering pretty badly. he hasn't started to move the barn yet. William Baldwin  Arthur died yesterday. and Old Squire Baldwin died about a week ago with heart Failure.

Well Father I wish you had been here Wednesday evening We had a Masqurade Ball in the Old Rickey Hall now owned by Our Web Mers or of all the fun we had is indiscribable. I wish you could have seen Aunt Add she dressed as a real old woman & came hobbling in she even fooled Uncle Roc. Dave Richery was dressed as a clown & he acted the part well Uncle Mose was dressed as a Chinaman Agnes and I dressed alike. Junior Rickey & his wife & Lillie & her husband was there. Aunt Rose and Uncle Jule was there but didn't mask. Philip Mo (two dots underneath the o)

Timber house up above Uncle Jule's was burned to the ground. Last tuesday Clint and wife lived with his Father and it caught in their part of the house don't know how. (between lines it reads: "this is a kiss")

Uncle Charlie & his new Bride just went by the Ottawa he takes her there thrice a week to be doctored. I dont think that he and Uncle Jule have spoken since they were married that is he and Frantie she was about 23 years old. Maud is terrible house sick and I guess she wont stay in Kansas much longer. Well I have been here 7 months from now it doesn seem possible does it? how time flies. I got a letter from Nash last night saying that you was talking of going down to Warren Palmers. I got a letter from Alli not long ago & she wanted me to come that way to see her when I came home. I would like to know about the Organ I have been worring about it every since  Mother wrote about it. I think it is a shame that if it has to go when you have paid so much on it I wish I could do something to be earning money Father but I don't know what I could do I surpose I would work out but I hate to go among strangers. Uncle John's have to have a girl part of the time & they would like to have me but I know you wouldnt like it. I feel as if I earn my board where ever I am I always help with the work. Grandma is sitting close by darning sockings and says to tell you she is very anxious about the box and how much you had to pay for it. I will send this peaceful for it as soon as I go up to Aunt Adds to get it. well good by for this time now please answer right away wont you Father I like to hear from you so well


Note: This is a letter from Lizzie Little White

No comments:

Post a Comment