LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Friday, October 27, 2017

Letter From Bonnie & Del - March 8, 1974

March 8, 1974

My dear Mable,

So glad as always to hear from you & all the news. You mentioned you didn’t recognize people names in the Waldo news of the paper, well Martin Winder is our next door neighbor & his wife died last night. Her name is Gwen & she had a lump in her breast & had it removed 7 months ago but it spread all thru her rapidly. He (Martin Winder) says he is a relative of Archie’s & Albert’s. Seems like everyone around here are relatives of some kind or another. Del, I believe is getting a little better  since the doctor took him off of some much medication.  We got over income tax figured & are waiting for results & also waiting for prescriptions to come back with pharmacist signature so we ca send them in for refund.

March 9

We have our horse boarded out for a month to give our pasture a chancet come back & to give us a chance to get the fence rebuilt where she had it all crippled up & broken down this winter trying to get to the alfalfa. We are building it like this out of one of fours & then yesterday Del & Lyle painted it white. Sure looks nice.

(Drawing of fence was drawn here in the letter)

I just can’t wait until you come down to see our place & spend some time with us. Del has to lose some more weight so he has me on a diet too. I’ve enjoyed the country cream so much since I’ve been here but have given it up to please him because if its here he wants it, too. There are over 100 relatives expected at the funeral for Gwen Monday so already they have called everyone in Waldo 7 told them what food to bring. They called me last night & told me to bring a pie & Mrs. Hubbard to bring a potato salad – Well Mrs. Hubbard was visiting here with us & she would rather make a pie so we switched. I can make a delicious pie sometimes but once in a while they aren’t if I especially want it to be good but my potato salads are always good. I fixed hot bread yesterday & cinnamon rolls & took them over & today I’m fixing a lemon pie but won’t take it over unless the meringue stands up. Sometimes they sand 2” high & other times they just go flat & I don’t know what I do wrong.  I sure learned a lot about cooking down in Arkansas and helped cook for 600 screaming kids at the school house.

Last year when we first moved Gwen Winder told me she had just discovered a lump in her breat & it was extremely sore. Of course I immediately asked her if she could move it around and she felt & said “No.” I had several but I could move them & they just cut them out but the doctor said when you can’t move them they are more dangerous. Anyway, I insisted she go in & see about it. So she did the next day & had breast removed & then they started cobolt every day for 6 weeks & told her she was O.K. but she kept going down hill & I feel so badly because I told her to havei taken care of. It seems to me that once a cancer is cut on it goes twice as fast. Maybe if she would of just let it go she’ be alive today. Anyway I feel badly about it & can’t help it. How is Shirley & family. She was always so cute & I used to tease her so & am so sorry now but it was such fun to do at h time. Wilda’s Bahs wife is going back to Viet Nam for a couple of months to visit er people while he is in some kind of training. Well I better get that lemon pie made & see if it is going to be pretty & see if it is going to be pretty & if not I’ll have to think of something else to take over today. Love & write when you feel like it.

Bonnie & Del



No comments:

Post a Comment