LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Fred White to Archie & Mable - Oct 1945

Silverton, Colo.

Oct 26 (Postage stamp is dated 1945)

 

Dear Archie & Mable,

 

I rec your letter and was surprised that you ans so soon but was glad to here from you. How is the weather up where you are? We have been having lots of snow. And it was 6 Below, Tuesday morning. It has been since the last 3 days. Sunday your Aunt Bess and I have been married 52 years. That is a long time to live with one woman. The People here thinks that is something Wonderful.

“2”

 Most of them here have been married 3 or 4 times. I guess they all like a change. We wrote to the kids and wanted them to all come out Sunday to Celebrate with us. But I don’t suppose any of them will come. They are all to busy if any Folks were living a Thousand miles away I would try to go and see them once or twice a year.

 Mother is putting up Grapes that Geo wife sent us.

The Hunting Season closes next Wednesday I never

“3”

 went Hunting as I had no Gun or Horse. They sure got a lot of Elk & Deer, and we have had several mese  of both.

We got a letter from Lyle and he told us he sent two Jap Rifles home they were 31 caliber. He is in the Philippines.

Fred, Bobs Boy is home from Italy. He has to go to some camp in Texas to get his Discharge.

I got two Pickup loads of wood from the Mine and had it saved up

“4”

and I put it in my Coal House yesterday I have it nearly full. If I had a Truck and a Power Saw. I could make more money than I could working in the mine. They charge $10 for a Pickup load of Blocks. I suppose Jo & Nettie are home now. Joe went to Wyo with some fellows to hunt and Nettie stayed with Mattie.

I saw in the Denver Post when Albert Moorhead got killed in Lymon last week by a car. I guess that must be my Cousin.

“5”

I wrote to Mattie and told her to find out for sure if it was him, but have not heard yet.

Harolds folks are all well. I think that Horse of little Geo’s is Steel Dut stock, we look for Clifford & Dude over Sunday. They live about 150 miles from us.

I suppose you heard that Howards wife got a Divorce from him.

Alice Miley is Teaching their Home School this winter. They are Building a sew Horse.

“6”

Is Ellen Wineland still living. Is this Hackerott Boy you talk about. Bills Boy. I know one of Bills Boys hi name is Ernie he lives at Atwood. He and Curry are great Friends. I went with him to McCook once when I was up there he drives a Big Transport all the time.

How is Irvin coming with No 7. Does she keep him the Hoasgow must of the time,

If you folks leave Seattle, you must come own here and see us. 

“7”

Helen McClure left her and went to Seattle. She is a widow she has a aBoy & Girl with her. She used to cook at the Hospital here. It begins to look like Truman was following in Rasys foot steps. They had anight to Hang him if he loanes Britian any more money, it looks like there Halfwits could do a little something for themselves. They think the US is Santa Claus. Well I must close,

Ans soon

Love Uncle Fred.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment