LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

George White to Archie Wineland - 2/19, 1928

 

The Luray Grain Company

Geo. L. White, Owner and Manager

 

Luray, Kansas, 2/19, 1928

 

Dear Nephew:

 

Got your letter, wanted to come up last Sunday but didn’t get to and today is too muddy, Will try and come up when the roads get good – and before that old hen chickens are all gone. Saw in the Natoma paper about your Father’s death. Did you learn any particulars It might be well for you to investigate and if there is any property, to put in for your share – Your mother was a hard worker and a good manager – and when she died, there had a very good start, and you are entitled to your share.

 

Say these rains & snows are sure fine for the wheat, and I guess we all could stand for a good crop.

 

As Ever - George


Note: The property referred to was sold by the 3rd wife to her brother for $1. Then he sold it for a profit. It had been sold by the time Archie had an attorney. All involved where crooks. There was nothing anyone could do about it back in the 1920's. Archie lost everything that belonged to him and his brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment