LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Letter From Silas White - Oct 21, 1932

 

Ft. Collins Colo Oct 21” 1932

 

Dear Mabel and Archie,

 

Your good letter come day before yesterday. Sure glad to get it for I have not been getting many latly. Archie got my card letting about the boy killing the deer. While I did not get even a shot or see a buck I did injoy the trip for it was the finest kind of weather which we can have in Oct and you know that is the finest kind of wether. There were lots of hunters some women and some of the women got a deer. Some hunted the four days and I’d not see a deer. Wish you could have had some of the meat  Bob give a lot away sent some to his friends in Denver one of them was here last night and played Pinochel he said it was the fresest – he ever eat they were fat one of them a three year old and the other five. The girls caved up a lot. Bob and Joe went to Denver yesterday they asked me to go but I did not care to go. They are going out to play golf this a.m. Nettie has been out four times and Joe once Last Tuesday. Joe and Nettie went up to the cabin it survived up there four inches they stoped all night there is beds and everythings and a nice big fire in the fireplace is pleasant in a cold nite. Dale I think is about love picking apples. They were here night before last and he said he though he would send his and the young man (a cousin of hers) back and he would stay. She has been homesick. It has been lonesome for her as they have been away at work all day. She was up here several times and some of us was down there. I think this was the longest she was ever away from her mother. I think Dale maybe homesick. When she and the little one are gone. There is not much work to be had here but Dale will find it if anyone can. Joe and a man that lives in the home here have just gone up the rets 40 miles. And Bob and the girls to the golf grounds. It is sure a nice day. I will stay here and do some writing and reading this is the kind of weather one likes to be out doors. I don’t know yet when I will be home If Joe and Nettie go back I think I will go with them. I don’t feel like spending money on the train. Wish you would write me how the cattle sell in K.C. I have been feeling OK ever since I have been here except – a little cold the first few days. Hoping you both are well and with lots of love I am

Grandfather (S.E. White)

No comments:

Post a Comment