LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Irvin Wineland - Hawaii 1958

 Post Mark – Honolulu Oct 13 11 AM 1958 Hawaii

Oct 12, 58

Dear Folks:

Thanks for the picture of Myron, Shirley and little Chris – is shure is good of them all. Little Chris has surely grown.

How did you spend your vacation? Did you get to see Knotts berry farms and Disneyland while you were there? Did the flowers arrive there O.K. I tried to time them for your birthday and to enjoy with Shirley.

We sure have lots in bloom now. I have some choice white cattleyas as Vandas and a lot of dichromiums the two later ones are spray types. I had one of my lath houses broken into last week and about a dozen cattleyas were taken, so I reported to Police and also to the Ins. Co. so they said for me to get an appraisal of them from the people on Ballingar way in Seattle where I’d obtained all of those taken except one so have just rec’d the letter from them estimating them at 585.00 so if I can get replacements, I can still come out all right.

Marion has had a bad case of some sort of muscle ailment in one of her legs – but has been to a dr several times and had some hormone shots along with some special pills for muscular pains so feels much better. We sure have a house full of cats, nine, 5 little ones and 4 big ones. We sure have to get rid of the little ones – we have sold one to the Poultry farm where we got our pullets they are taking one little female and we’ll see a pet shop in Honolulu about the other four.

We have lunch aboard the President Hoover a couple of weeks ago, the 2nd steward is a friend of ours he wrote us from Yakahama Japan to meet him. He is in England now for a visit with his sister, we sure enjoyed it very much. We went up in a valley a couple of miles from home and gathered several buckets of strawberry guavas today. They make the finest Jelly I’ve ever eaten – they have 5 times the amt of Vitamin C as oranges has.

Marion is writing her sister in Vancouver BC, the one that visited us for a month, she wrote and said she sure would like to be here. I see Texas beat Oklahoma yesterday, and Stanford took the Huskies.

Write when you can –

 

Aloha Marion and Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment